98 4x4 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Hey guys about a month ago i picked up a 98 4x4 expy and a 99 EB expy for a price of 1400, the EB was supposed to have a blown motor. Since then i have tuned up the 4x4 and inspected the EB, it was missing 3 coils once replaced it runs great. Now i am for sure keeping the 4X4 and unsure about the EB, now the 4x4 has a lot of rust underneath and i noticed the engine block itself has a buildup of rust. Where would you guys recommend picking up a crate engine, i would prefer to get the dohc from a navigator if i don't have to change harness and everything else.

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok so here is where I am now. Just found out from the dealer i bought the trucks from that he cant get the title for the black one because the Honda dealership that took it as a trade and sold it to him, too many miles for them to sale on their lot, took in the wrong expy title from the original owner. Apparently she had a green one and a black one and whoever did the paperwork didn't verify they had the correct title so the black one will be parted. I really hate to do ot to a prefectly good running truck but oh well. So i will be swapping some of the EB features to the 4x4. Build to start soon.

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Replaced the transfer case motor today, seems to have fixed the 4wd problem, but the previous owner disconnected the front drive shaft so There could be other issues. However i will have to wait until next weekend to reinstall that and test. Took the 22s off the parts truck.

20170401_185248.jpg

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Are the lift kits for the f150 and expedition the same. I thou check it read the use the same frame, it seems like there are a lot more options for the f150 than the expedition?

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok so i have been slowly moving through things that need to be repaired. I have fixed the cigarette lighters, attached the front driveshaft, repaired the exhaust leak. I'm moving now to a problem that I'm not sure what is causing it. My AC controls for the front ac only works on high. Any idea what would cause this? Is it the switch or should i be testing resisters?

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AC only working on high is probably the blower motor resistor, since the high setting basically means no resistance provided, or the resistor is bypassed all together. this should be very easy to replace, this issue is common with hondas too. or else i would check the switch for the AC control.

as for some general advice about your vehicles, be wary of the 4r100 transmission, which come with all 5.4 expeditions. its a pile. it can be upgraded though and made bullet proof for not a lot of money. 2-3 upshift valve, and some final drive snapring are the main components which need to be upgraded, but there are several others

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh, and for the love of god, take off those damn rims ASAP