98 EB 4X4 upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derrekg123

Reaction score
198,000 miles looking for some popular upgrade to keep my green beast rolling. She's my daily driver about 40 miles back and forth to work. Right now she's in decent shape just looking to keep her going. Any tips on maintenance or specific parts to keep an eye on for replacement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear trailing arms. They get rusty.

Synthetic is fine. But you may burn more than with regular.

OP
OP
derrekg123

derrekg123

Reaction score
I usually run Ford's motor craft 5w30 in it with a motor craft oil filter changing the oil about every 3 or so months noticing a little oil burn maybe a half quart or so. Also replace the air filter to. I'm somewhat concerned with the drivetrain. Should I change the tranny fluid? What about the diff's?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd change ALL fluids: motor, trans, diffs, transfer case, radiator and brake fluid.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Explorer Tom. Change all the fluids. Also check the radiator core support. They are known to rust and the fan will hit the radiator. PIA to change. Anyone have another way to repair these without pulling the whole front end off?