'98 Expedition 5.4 Code P0171

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've cleared this code twice. Both times it popped up was after fueling up. The book just says "System To Lean" but no further information. I have the '98 Ford shop manuals but apparently the OBD info is in a separate manual that's not included in the 4 voulme set I have. Is it possible the seal on the gas cap needs replaced or is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
I've cleared this code twice. Both times it popped up was after fueling up. The book just says "System To Lean" but no further information. I have the '98 Ford shop manuals but apparently the OBD info is in a separate manual that's not included in the 4 voulme set I have. Is it possible the seal on the gas cap needs replaced or is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This code for me was an O2 sensor. You need to find out which one though since there are four.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Try cleaning your MAF. Mine was the O2 sensor as well, and I cleaned the MAF, reset the codes and all was good. No more CEL. Check this link... there is a whole discussion about that code, and a little write up on cleaning your MAF and checking your vacuum assembly. It may help you. http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=4926

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lane24.....Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll be checking mine out the next several days.