98 expedition Heater problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

here is a simple cure for the over heating problem Pull your t/stat and drill a very small hole in the plate Had the same problem on my friends 99 and we did that and he hasn't had any problem since as a matter of fact when he got the expy at a good price he was told about it overheating and that it might be a blown head gasket etc. If you are having more serious problem they will still appear and then you may need to check further Take the old t/stat put it in a pan of boiling water and see if it opens up if it does then use that t/stat for the hole to be used Let us know the results

Last edited by a moderator:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The boiling water trick is something I do with every new t-stat I get. I've got a digital thermometer to be sure it opens at the specified temperature. but a 194 t-stat should open and then shortly after the water should boil (maybe 1-3 mins apart)