98 expedition high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try using a 5/16 to 3/8 hose taped onto an adapter for a shop vac. You'll have to duct tape the hose around the vacuum adapter. PVC pipe, with adapters hopefully will work. That rear thread insert is a bear to do at home. Your going to need an angle drill, shop vac, and a ton of patience. You may have to farm that part to a shop. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok so we fot the rubber peice out. Usong mu 7 dollar borocope camera and cell phone to see exactly where it was. Lots of time frustration and praying and we got it. As far as the thread repair there is a kid for like 79 bucks at the autoparts store that i hear that the shops around use to fix this common problem. Best part is i dont have to drill out the hole and rethread it. Considering that. But there is another tool that my mechanic neighbor said his friend at ford uses at the dealer shop to repair the threads. Somehow this does not need drilling either. Trying to decide which is best. I could always yank the heads off the other expy that came with this one for parts...but dont really want to do that at this point.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the other shops say he does good work, and they wouldn't use him if not, go with him. Most shops charge $200.00 to $300.00 each hole. He's a bargain.

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok fixed the threads on the rear passenger plug hole and put everything back together and she now runs perfect. Now jave to start digging into other things. I know one of my pulleys is going out i can hear the bearing starting to sqeek a bit. And have to learn about the 4wd system the front drive shaft is disconnected. Anyone have any ideas of common 4wd issues that may point me in the correct direction. And an inexpensive lift kit. Also i need to do my link pin bushings, i figure if I'm lifting it i should not do the bushings until i lift. Is this a correct assupmtionm

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The two most common problems is the transfer case itself not engaging due to either a sensor, or a solenoid, or an issue in the case itself. Being that the previous owner disconnected the drive shaft, I'm going out on a limb and say theirs a problem in the case. As always run diagnostic codes first. Their can be a myriad of problems that caused the prior owner to remove the shaft.

sphillips

Reaction score
Thanks hopefully the weather will clear soon and i can take a look. I still have to change the other 4 coils and plugs. That could be the reason for voltage i guess as well. But i will check that fuse when i get out there.

Mine only idled high at 1000rpm, but new pcv fixed it

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
It's running great now tomorrow I'm changing the transfer case motor for the 4 wheel drive and swing if that's the issue with that. I read a lot of posts about it going bad and it is very rusted

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
OK so I did not get around to changing the shift motor, Decided I should spend a week or so spraying rust bolts with PB blaster so I dont break any, Where this is located I wont be able to get a drill in to tap the hole if I break something. I did, however finally get the inside cleaned really good, and tried to use the 3rd row seat from the 99 EB Expo that came with it, It seems the Rear seat in the EB has different brackets than the one that is missing out of mine, I can get the rear hooks to lock in but the front ones have Wheels and they will not drop down into the hole, any suggestions/advice

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01