98 expy 4x4 fubar.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so I took apart the GEM module and you can't find a thing wrong with it. It's solid state, has a bunch of resisters and chips. Found no moisture or signs of water damage. For all I know, It's okay.

The fuse box showed signs of corrosion on the outside when it was removed. Traces of green were present on the the input side of the main harness.

When I took it apart, I realised crap. There is no way the average joe shmo could do this.

You have to drill out the two studs that hold the fuse box onto the dash from the BACK side where the main harness's screw in ( 10MM ) once it's apart, stuff comes out and falls everywhere. Bent peices of copper, fuse leads and such.

Basically what makes it tough is tha there are layers of plastic and copper runs that are sandwiched together.

When water got in between them, you could see all of the green corrosion and how the system shorts.

Instead, I'm going to work on how to water proof what you have, if what you have is hooped, a quick way to repair it by removing, drilling a hole and sraying the insides with contact cleaner.

Also, where you can buy them cheaper than ford ( ebay ) and water proofing them.

Sealing the window will not fix the problem. The leak is somewhere else and I can't trace it.

This way, the fusebox and module are protected.

OP
OP

737jet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No sunroof or roof racks. Base model xlt, ex cop edition. Did the cop edition's in 98 come with anything special?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear the 4x4 was fixed, that dealer sounds real nice I'd deal with them anytime.

Its not the weather stripping?