99 Expy 4x4 Upgrades Completed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coey326

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So we are planning to travel across the United States,Mexico and Belize. Maybe further sometime in the future but that is all this year. I have done a lot of upgrades to my Expy to make it durable,functional, and safe. The biggest upgrade was a brand new crate motor. I had the head gasket leak and decided to just replace the whole engine. I also added dual batteries,brush guard with LED light bar,hidden winch,roof basket(with LED light bar,box,6 4" lights,shovel,high lift jack and axe),new tires,all new suspension,changes out all fluids,new brakes,all new headlights,taillights and fog lights and Im sure theres more but I can't think of it right now. If I have done anything you are curious about I can do a write up on that on item. So here is a before and after picture.

IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0089.JPG

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where'd you find room to put the 2nd battery?

Looks like a proper vehicle now. That before picture was pretty pedestrian looking.

OP
OP
Coey326

Coey326

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was actually really easy. I just removed the original battery box and replaced it with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012URFNL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since Optima batteries are smaller and sit different, it fit righting the same spot with a little bit of wiggling. The only issue is there is a little black box behind the factory battery box. I just moved it to the front and attached it to the new battery box. You can see it zip tied between the batteries and the TRUE isolator in the picture.

IMG_0581.JPG

Tavy

Reaction score
Put some skid plates to protect your under carriage. I just installed a RCI skid plates on my 2011 EXPY check it out. IMG_4271.JPG

OP
OP
Coey326

Coey326

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks great and thanks. I was just thinking of where to get those. Did you get from their website or somewhere else?

Tavy

Reaction score
Ordered them directly from RCI website. Also since you will be traveling cross country it may be a good idea to install a HF/VHF/UHF ham radio as part of your coms equipment.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice.

recommend mud guards as well as you'll be traveling on many road surfaces.

good luck and post up pics of your expedition, on your trek.