A/C cutoff switch in 2004.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedfan04

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the 2004 came with an A/C cutoff switch? When I'm accelerating on the highway, the air cuts off until I take my foot off the gas- same thing happens when I have the vent on. My 2002 never did this. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All A/C systems I've worked on have a low pressure and high pressure cut off. Check your pressure. Sounds like it is low.
When accelerating on to the highway are you putting it to the floor? The computer will cut off the compressor on WOT also.

OP
OP
Expedfan04

Expedfan04

Reaction score
Not WOT, but just merging into traffic. Other than that, the A/C blows fine.

Last edited:

zensequitur

Reaction score
Experiencing similar issues with my '04.
Cruising level, or light downhill grade AC blows full force out vents (and cold).
under subtle (but constant) acceleration or slight uphill grade air flow from main vents appears to clamp off, and instead I can feel cold air (though not as cold) blowing from the defrost vents at base of windshield and from the floor vent.

This behavior reminds of how the vacuum actuators of old might have behaved if there was a subtle loss of vacuum due to leak and under hard accel.

When the air flow from the main vents stops, simply lifting your foot from the accelerator pedal for 1-2 seconds is sufficient to have the air flow return full force from the main vents.

Since the aux/rear AC unit upper/lower and blend doors are electric (and I'll just say it, that whole rear door actuator debacle is Class Action worthy. Machining gears out of "Captain Crunch" cereal would have been a more robust choice... but I digress).
Therefore I just assumed the front had a similar setup.

Edit (update)...

AC pressures all within normal ranges. Low pressure cut-off is not the cause of my problem. According to the Workshop manual most of the Control and Blend doors on my '04 are vacuum control motors and not electronic control. This, leads me back to my original gut feeling... vacuum leak. I will investigate the component mentioned (below) by Expedfan04, and also check a few other problematic vacuum lines to see if I can locate this leak. I also have to drop the headliner and reattach a disconnected driver-side front drain line from the sunroof (disconnected drain lines are real fun when it rains).

I just finished replacing a water pump on my wife's '99 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0l V8 (AWD), new hoses, pump, idler pulleys, serpentine belt, oil change, and general maint this last weekend so will give my knuckles a rest and try and tackle my ride's Gremlins this weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Expedfan04

Expedfan04

Reaction score
A/C finally fixed!

Well, the mystery has been solved. It was a cracked check valve near the battery tray. Part number : 2L1Z-19C828-AA. A condenser/ heater hose assembly. Part costs about $45. Thanks to all those that took the time to try and help me figure it out.

B

bedrck46

thanks for the update and part number I'm sure it will help others