AC leak issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have looked on the forum but cannot find any info on this subject. I have 2006 KR with 5.4L V8 with 242K miles on it. I am the original owner and have put all the miles on it. BTW, I run Mobil 1 Oil and Synthetic Transmission fluid with no problem from first 15K miles. No issues but CLEAN transmission.

Now I have a slow leak at compressor housing and hose but it seems replacing it is about $1400 using Ford parts (not at dealer). Car has been wonderful and all still works except AC. Wondering of any of you mechanic types can give me some guidance, other than dump it and buy a new one. I know I have gotten my moneys worth but I would like to keep the car or let one of my kids use it if feasible but in Georgia, AC must work or it is insufferable.

I see the stop-leak products and charge your own AC kits, but not sure about them.

Thanks, and if there is a post already just point me to it.

Jim

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the leak is a the junction of the compressor and hose it is just the o-ring that needs to be replaced. A proper leak test would verify if there are other issues with the system.
Where in Georgia are you located?
How old are your kids?

Stay away from the ac stop leak trash. It causes more harm than you know.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
As he said, fix the leak of possible..

Also don't waste your money on rebuilt units only buy new or..

Pull a used one off of the junk yard which they warranty for 3 months (what I did) and it fixed my AC problems last year for less than $100 including refilling the refrigerant

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for replying: I live about 40 miles north of Atlanta in the N Georgia mountains, and my kids are in their 40's but both have families and always need an extra car to drive to/from work. Not that I want to give it away but each of them are Ford people as well and like my KR model. It looks and drives great except for no AC.

I am only going to use new FORD AC unit, but when I go to Rockauto and look up Ford compressors for my truck, there are several apparently. With the VIN, how do I make sure the right one is installed? I need probably a few more related parts as well. Is about $1400 a reasonable price? The shop I used to check it I am pretty comfortable with as far as honesty but always looking for a smarter deal. Not sure I am smart enough to buy one from junkyard and get it to work. The shop discouraged me also from quick fix with stop-leak and recommended a Ford new compressor. Did not mention a junk yard compressor.

Thanks for helping me. Jim

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
$1400 for just replacing the AC compressor with new ford compressor & labor or entire rebuild of the AC system including dryer, condenser etc?

Last year I was quoted $950 by my local ford dealer to replace the compressor and everything else except then condenser with labor.

I still have that paper they gave me the quote on in my house it was like $958 and some change

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can buy a basic set of ac tools plus the parts to fix it for less than the $1400. I think that quote is way out of line unless they are also changing the drier & flushing the system.

Ford doesn't manufacture the compressor someone ekse does. The box it comes in may be Ford...

Can you post a pic of the area where the leak is? There may be nothing wrong with the compressor.

Check tooltopia.com for the ac tools if you are interested.

The most expensive ac kit on Rockauto is @$300 with shipping. Add pag oil and r134a and you're @$400. Basic ac tools should be under $400. You just have to ask yourself "do you fell lucky today?"
Sorry had a quick reflection back to Dirty Harry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I have asked for clarification of what is included in the price, but I believe it is the compressor, condenser and hoses, not sure what else. Plus refilling with Freon. As I get more info I will let you know by posting it. Not sure about flushing it

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like all of the story isn't being told. How do you go from a leak at the compressor to needing hoses and a condenser? Sounds like more is going on with your system than meets the eye.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. Here's what I was told. Need to replace main compressor, accumulator, hose and flush completely. Replace oil, o-rings for $1600. Only when they get in will they know if condenser needs to be replaced but it would add $490. So it would be either $1600 or approx $2100 worst case. This is higher than I hoped. I guess I will look at other repair places if cost seems way too high.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. Here's what I was told. Need to replace main compressor, accumulator, hose and flush completely. Replace oil, o-rings for $1600. Only when they get in will they know if condenser needs to be replaced but it would add $490. So it would be either $1600 or approx $2100 worst case. This is higher than I hoped. I guess I will look at other repair places if cost seems way too high.
As an HVAC service technician the only thing I see out of line here is the condenser. Sounds like the compressor may have been your failure, noticed a hose leaking and everything else falls inline with a typical compressor replacement.

Fyi your really not getting a better product by going oem for the compressor but the installation practices are really what matters. Flush depending what the oil looks/smells like, we also have ways to test the old oil but usually visual/ smell is enough. Proper Evacuation and charging weight is by far the most important and skimping on either one could cause a failure very quickly. Basically what I'm saying is if you wanna save some money on parts at least make sure a good shop does the work