AC line replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdfan

Reaction score
Newbie here

My 2004 Expy AC isnt working. Took to shop for diagnosis, and he says I have a leak in my AC line. They want to replace the Low side hose assembly. I have rear ac, and he says its 3 total lines. They want $1500 to replace it, including the recharge. $500 for the lines.

So, im considering doing this myself. Im not exactly clear what hoses I would be replacing. Looking at Rockauto, it appears that this may be what I need

More Information for MOTORCRAFT YF3377

1. Does anyone have a good diagram for the ac lines?
2. How hard is this for a shadetree mechanic? The shop says its a days work, hence the $700 in labor. Seems crazy expensive.

Couldnt find a thread with any info, but if there is one, point me in that direction.

Thanks!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you see refridgerant oil leaks in any of those lines ? It's pretty rare for them to all go bad and even rarer for them to all go bad at the same time. Are they all rusted out or something ? Did you get a second opinion from another shop ? It's not that hard of a job. But do you have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system after changing the hoses? If not you can pick up a cheapie from Harbor Freight for the job. How 'bout an A/C manifold and gauge set to recharge the system? Are you the original owner of the truck ?

-Mike

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if its the same but I had an A/C issue that I spent allot of money to get finally figured out (kept getting misdiagnosis) . It was the lower hose. There is a metal/aluminum connector (pin hole in connector where leak was) that takes two hoses into one (if I remember correctly) the cost on the part was under $240

OP
OP
M

mdfan

Reaction score
I dont seen any oil or leaks, but the guy at the shop claimed to see a lot of oil. Im not seeing what he claims, I should have had him point it out to me. Its hard to follow some of the lines, they get lost in the engine bay.

Im the original owner. No rust. Havent gotten second opinion yet, but will. I did check out the Har Freight vac pump and gauges, would pick them up if I do this job.

JB14- If you can share a photo of what you replaced, I would appreciate it.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the part it was a pin hole leak for me very hard to notice but if cleaned off the dye will show up.

Leak: looking at image the top hose connector to the left look at two hole connector where single metal hose connects indicated by small black triangle point to it

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 23