AC whooows!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike nadeau

Reaction score
How is your ac?
I'm here in Phoenix and mine sucks! After new, condesor, expansion valves, compressor seems fine, and the switch to a mark vIII electric fan still only seeing 50's and when it gets into the 112 plus might 70's especially when sotting in traffic. I even had 2 electric pushers ontop of the mark vIII fan at 1 point.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hook a good set of gauges up and read the pressures. That will tell you what the evap and condenser temps are.
Evaporator clean?
Blend door working correctly?
How much oil is in the system?

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
Condensor is barely a year old. No bugs out here.
I had a mechanic buddy help me with the plugs a while back and while I was at it i replaced the low side schrade, which was leaking. So he evacuated and filled the system. He said the pressures looked fine. Well oil I have never pulled the compressor but when I replaced the condensor combination manifold hose and the expansion valves I added I belive 2oz. I figures as much with the leaks that had occurred.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stamp suggests GET a good set of gauges and read the pressures Then post those readings.

Your post states about work done a while back and a year ago. You need to find out if anything has changed since "a while back and a year ago"

Post the readings it will help others to better able to help you.

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
I will do that but give you the history. 1 year ago I finally decided to start investigating the ac since we had just moved to the Phoenix area And summer was coming. I finally found that the fan clutch had never really worked the way it should and I wasn't willing to pay for a new motorcraft clutch at that point and started looking at an efan replacement. I found a mark viii fan and went with it hooked to a starter solenoid hooked to a temp relay. That was an improvement but not where it should be. So I then replaced the manifold hose, condensor and front and rear expansion valves. While doing this I never saw any metal shavings in the system. I then vacced and recharged the system. It was better but not cold while sitting idle. 8 months later, 2 months ago my mechanic buddy helped me and thats when it wad hooked to s good set of gauges and the schrader valve was replaced. No leaks since then.
Yesterday on the freeway with 112 degreees outside I saw 47 degrees at the vent. Once I was moving but when traffic stops it goes up to the 60' sometimes 70's. If I have to run a couple miles on side streets it nevere really cools down.

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
At 80 degrees on start non cylce I see 40/125. When it cycles I get 34/154. This is my high end HF gauge set!
But as I sit here and watch right before the compressor cycles off my low side starts to drop. So Im thinking the compressor is starting to crap out.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is where knowing the exact quantities of refrigerant and oil in the system is important.
If the correct amounts are in then the high side is low and the compressor may be on the way out or the system charge is low. If they are not correct then go back to square one. Recover the system and note the amount of oil removed. Recharge with the correct amounts of refrig and oil then read the pressures after running 10-15 minutes. Then increase airflow through the condenser and see if the nigh side pressure drops.
You want the low side pressure to be a few degrees above freezing at idle. I shoot for 35-37. A good gauge set will have a temp scale on the gauge face also.

Last edited:

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's usually a compressor problem. Replace it with a new unit and with your efan, you'll be cool this summer.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When checking pressures you need to let the system stabilize while running. I usually let it run - 10-15 minutes then take the readings.

Your pressures are still low on the high side. As the refrig level increases you will see a faster change on the high side compared to the low side.

Add 2oz of refrig, let it stabilize and check the pressures again. You want to see if the high side increases.

Our students are learning ac now. Shop temp is @78 degrees, pressures are 34/160 to 37/175. Part of their training is to undercharge a system, take pressure & temp readings then add 2oz of refrig take readings again. Keep adding 2oz until they are overcharged and compare readings.

How is the airflow through the vents? Nice and strong on high?

Last edited: