Adding a Block Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently considered applying for a job in a much colder part of the country. Is it possible to add a block heater to the 2016 Ford Expedition Ecoboost engine?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford parts website shows a factory kit, reasonably priced at $30. But it looks like the freeze plug knock out is right behind the drivers side exhaust manifold, so possibly a nightmare to install. Was an available option on certain Expeditions.

Might consider a lower radiator hose heater instead, way easier to install.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ This is correct. All the blocks are set up for it but it's a pretty difficult install given the location.

Unless you're talking Alaska, Canada, or upstate NY, it's probably not necessary, and even then... I almost never use mine up here in Quebec. If you don't have remote start, I'd buy remote-start enabled keys and turn that on with FORScan before I installed a block heater. If you do, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dorzak

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ This is correct. All the blocks are set up for it but it's a pretty difficult install given the location.

Unless you're talking Alaska, Canada, or upstate NY, it's probably not necessary, and even then... I almost never use mine up here in Quebec. If you don't have remote start, I'd buy remote-start enabled keys and turn that on with FORScan before I installed a block heater. If you do, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was considering Central Wyoming or Montana. I lived there when I was much younger and remember cars all having block heaters at the time.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was considering Central Wyoming or Montana. I lived there when I was much younger and remember cars all having block heaters at the time.
They do. They're extremely common in Canada, I think they are required in some provinces, but I never see anyone using them. Modern engines and modern antifreeze don't really need them. You can adjust the coolant mixture to work well into the -50ºF range, the only real advantage they provide is a shorter warm-up time so the cabin heat works sooner.

You may consider an oil pan heater that glues to the oil pan, or a battery warmer. The only trouble I have had in starting my Expedition during cold snaps (we had one this December where the temperature was below 0ºF for 16 days straight) would be because my battery is 6 years old and doesn't want to provide as much juice in the cold as it used to.

I was even in Montana this December and she groaned a little bit because of the battery but fired right up in -28ºC in Great Falls, MT, no block heater help.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I just had a block heater (KATS Heater P/N 11610) installed in my '99 5.4L EB here in Northern Wisconsin. I plug the Expy in if we're expecting low single-digits (or lower) overnight. Mainly I'm trying to make life easier on an engine with 250K on it. Spins a little easier at start-up. IMHO - it couldn't hurt. Cost less than $200 part & install.

FRD88

Reaction score
I'm in Montana and they are very popular. I put one on mine when I replaced the motor last year. It isn't necessarily needed per say, but it is better for the motor to have warm oil on start up when its cold. Normal operating temperature is far from the temps we have in the winter. Sounds like the location for your application my be an issue so I agree that you might want to look into aftermarket options.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t use the block heater and I’m in Buffalo, NY. These days with multi viscosity winter rated oils it’s not quite like the old days where straight 30 weight was used and the oil didn’t flow well when cold. The 5W in 5W 30 means 5 (winter) and the oil will act like a 5 weight when cold for better flow. A block heater still helps because starting with warmer oil can’t be bad for a motor. I’d Just let your truck warm up for 10 minutes and don’t jab the throttle, that’s what I do.

FRD88

Reaction score
I don’t use the block heater and I’m in Buffalo, NY. These days with multi viscosity winter rated oils it’s not quite like the old days where straight 30 weight was used and the oil didn’t flow well when cold. The 5W in 5W 30 means 5 (winter) and the oil will act like a 5 weight when cold for better flow. A block heater still helps because starting with warmer oil can’t be bad for a motor. I’d Just let your truck warm up for 10 minutes and don’t jab the throttle, that’s what I do.

That's a good point and like I said not needed but it won't hurt. It reminds me of the people using cardboard in front of radiators which basically isn't really needed since fuel injection and electric fans became standard. The cardboard makes me laugh and I see if all the time here.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is absolutely no need for any kind of a heater if you use Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter as the oil POURS at -47F, been using it since the early nineties in Wisconsin. At the moment the starter is cranking the engine oil is being pumped. With junk conventional 5w30 the oil is one big nasty clump at 0F, put a quart of each kind in your freezer and see which is still a liquid. Alls else you need is a strong battery which you should be charging up to full capacity weekly to make it last longer and to avoid
sulphation. At super cold temperatures it will crank the engine slower but at no time will the engine dry start, which is the key to cold starting. And, the only way you will accomplish this is to change the oil and filter yourself because if you think for one second some dope lube tech is going to put Mobil 1 in you're out of your mind. Besides, you'll save $20-40 doing it yourself and the oil pan threads won't get destroyed from crossthreading and overtightening with an impact wrench that those dopes use.