Adding AUX or USB port to 2002 Expedition EB factory stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relentless85

Reaction score
How can I or what do I need to purchase to add an AUX or USB port to the factory Mach stereo system in our 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer. It has the factory 6 disc changer in the center console and tape player with subwoofer in the rear.

Is there an adapter that plugs into the factory harness? I did this on my chevy truck and added AUX and USB using a PAC audio adapter.

OP
OP
R

relentless85

Reaction score
Has anyone done this to their factory system? Crutchfield only lists 2 adapters one from PAC audio (iSimple) PXDP and the USA Spec iPod interface. Does anyone have experience with these?

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just got a new radio and metra harness then wired it up and pluged it in the kit they make inclueds a sub harness too I have a 99 that had the same head unit... I love my new pioneer it was only like 100 too if your intrested ill include links... you just gotta wire the yellow amp on wire (i put it in like last year as a 15 year old no one needs car toys haha) to the ignition wire so when the trucks in run the sub works but when its off it shuts off and wont kill your battery.
Wiring kit http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5517-Radio-Wiring-Harness/dp/B0002BF0CK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416952734&sr=8-1&keywords=70-5517
Radio http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEHX6600BT-In-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00EEO4WD4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416952785&sr=8-3&keywords=pioneer+deh+6500

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

relentless85

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was trying to use the stock stereo equipment and add the AUX or USB port. I really did not want to purchase a new stereo and install it. I like the looks of factory better.

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that's what you were after its a little pricy but its plug and play swap
Ford Expedition 2000 02 Radio Am FM Cassette CD Ctrl w Aux Input YL1F 18C870 EB | eBay

I was intrigued by this mod. Found a reference where a guy did this mod on a slightly newer OEM radio by soldering the aux jack leads to the output of the FM receiver before the main amp circuit.
In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard could it be?"
The author of the mod posted some good pictures and an OK description of what he did and the circuit board on his radio was clearly marked.
Not so much on the Expy radio. I had to unsolder the antenna connection and two ground points to remove the rear panel where I found the FM receiver connections were NOT labeled. On another post, a user suggested I could determine which leads were the output by using earphones and touching the wires to each lead. Tried this and found signal but when I tried to feed a signal from a cheap mp3 player to these leads I didn't get any sound.
Found another post on the Ford Taurus site where users were tapping into the output of the tape player. I checked and sure enough that circuit board was labeled. Soldered my aux jack leads to those connections and tested. Works like a charm, the sound is crystal clear because the signal is not going through the tape head. The downside is a tape has to be installed. I have a tape adapter with a bad plug so I use that tape to activate the tape unit. I don't get any noise from it. My iPhone sounds fantastic over the Expy system.
I have numerous other projects on my Expy so I'm going to live with this for now. When I have more time I'll revisit either getting the jack to work over the FM circuit on look into installing a switch on the circuit that tells the unit a tape is in. I'm only into this project for $1.75 and a few hours of my time.
I got the jack at Radio Shack and used a CD Rom drive audio cable to connect it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,933

JeremyD

Reaction score
Great write up! Do you think you could give some links to the pics and info you used. Do you have any better pics or drawings of the terminals you used and the tear down of the radio?

Thanks!

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't know if this little project was going to work so I didn't document very well.
Here's the link to the project that got me thinking I could do this. Keep in mind this will be of absolutely no help on a first gen Expy OEM radio. Might be useful to 2nd gen owners

Adding an auxilary input into a Ford stereo

According to the forums, the signal from a plugged in device would be stronger than the FM receiver signal so all you would hear is your plugged in device. Some users claim they can hear the FM audio if they turn the volume of their device down. Seems to me like the FM audio would come through between songs but maybe the output signal is still strong but mute. I don't know enough about it.

I'm guessing here, but I think the eBay seller is using a 6 pin aux jack switch. They would disconnect the FM receiver output from the circuit board and run to the aux jack. The output of the aux jack would then run to the input side of the main amp. When nothing is plugged into the jack, the FM signal would leave the receiver travel to the jack and back to the amp input. When a device is plugged in, the FM signal would be interrupted and only the plugged in device signal would feed to the amp. That would be a cleaner install signal wise but a much more complicated mod of the radio.

What I ended up doing was actually quite simple and doesn't require nearly as much tear down as what I did.

If you just want to connect to the tape player output:

Buy these from (insert favorite electronics store here) I used Radio Shack:

attachment.php

I scrounged this out of my spare parts bin. It's a CD Rom audio cable. The wires are small, pliable, and shielded. I just cut off the ends.

attachment.php

For access remove the top radio cover. There are two screws Torx, not sure of the size but smaller than T-10. Maybe T-7. Since I didn't have the right size Torx I was able to turn them with pliers. After the two screws are out the cover just pops off. The tape unit is held in with 3 screws and I think these were Torx T-10. After you remove the 3 screws the tape unit just lifts out. It's connected to the main board via a socket so you don't have to worry about delicate ribbon cables. Once out, look at the circuit board on the back of the unit. The outputs are clearly marked with an R and L. You'll see the R and L in the upper left corner and also in the lower right corner. Either will work, I used the lower right hoping they would be on the other side of the tape in switch but it wasn't, so a tape has to be inserted for the audio to get through. I soldered my wires to the existing pins on the circuit board. I attached the ground to the screw that secures the circuit board to the tape chassis. Didn't solder, just loosened the screw, stuck the wire under and re tightened.
To install the jack, remove the 4 small black screws that hold the face plate on. Carefully unsnap the face plate from the chassis. There are two socket connectors so no ribbon cables to worry about. Once the faceplate is removed you'll need to remove the circuit board from the face plate. There's 6 or 8 screws. Once the screws are removed the circuit board will lift (fall) out. If it doesn't come out easily, you probably missed the screw in the middle by the tape door. The rubber button part might stick to the circuit board or might fall out. Mine fell out (no big deal) and revealed that the only place the aux jack will fit is on the right side. There is a squarish hole that the aux jack will just fit though. The face plate tapers a bit so make sure you drill the hole through the plate far enough over. I didn't and ended up having to wallow out the hole a bit for the aux jack body to clear the face plate side. Fortunately the securing nut was large enough to hide my mistake.
There is a small opening on the circuit board that the audio cable will go through. Before you solder on the aux jack make sure you run the audio cable through the circuit board. There is just enough room for the cable to feed through and everything still bolt up correctly. Solder your wires on the jack, (pin outs are on the package) secure to the the face plate, make sure rubber buttons are in, screw circuit board back on. It shouldn't bind or be difficult to screw on. If it is check your cable routing. Once the face plate is reassembled attach it to the radio. Take care that the sockets engage fully on both sides of the board. I had to hold the back side of the left socket on the main board while pushing the face plate on. The first time I connected the face plate, half my control buttons didn't work because the sockets didn't engage correctly. ( i tested everything before putting all the covers back on)
Reinstall the tape unit and route the audio cable away from anything that moves, reinstall the top cover and you should be good to go.

Cautions and warnings. Do this at your own risk, This mod worked for me but I wasn't to concerned about damaging my radio because I knew I could get a replacement radio for $145 on eBay. I mainly did this because I thought I could and was hoping to not spend $145.
I don't know if the output signal of my iPhone is capable of overloading the amp input circuit so I keep my iPhone headphone volume at about 3/4 maximum. I accidentally hit full volume briefly on my iPhone and nothing blew up but I don't know about long term effects....
I use a tape adapter as my tape to engage the audio circuit, so why didn't I just use the tape adapter to connect my iphone? Well I used to and did for a couple years, but the wires at the audio plug have become damaged and don't work anymore. I could have purchased another one or used my FM adapter but the sound quality of both is not great. When I started this mod I was hoping to use the FM receiver circuit but I had to settle on the tape circuit for now. Audio wise this is a vast improvement over the tape adapter because the signal is not going through the tape head. The signal goes directly to the main amp. It's as pure as you're going to get on the stock system.
I didn't take many pictures of the process but when I go back to hunt for the elusive FM receiver circuit, I'll document better. Maybe someone else has found it for our radios and will share.

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,225
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 924
Last edited:

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update:
My aux input jack setup had been working great until recently. I've lost the right audio due to a bad connection in my Radio Shack 3.5mm plug. If I jiggle my cord around it will start working. I should have used a better plug.

So the ebay seller that advertises the aux jack mod finally had an audiophile unit identical to what my Expy has. From reading their description it looked like their version worked without requiring a tape to be inserted. I paid the $165 and eagerly awaited the new unit. Opened the box yesterday and right on top was the directions sheet stating a cassette has to be inserted but doesn't matter what kind because Aux audio input will override tape signal. @#$@!!!

My fault for not contacting the seller and verifying, but no where in their on-line ad does it state a tape is required. So I paid $165 for a mod I have all ready done myself for $2.84.
I haven't contacted the seller yet and probably won't. I'll swap in their unit and experiment on mine since I need to change out the 3.5mm plug anyway.
I'm hoping I can either find the FM signal input to the amp or I can find the switch that enables to tape circuit. If I can find the switch then I can use either a micro switch on the end of the 3.5mm plug or use a 6 pin 3.5mm plug that would activate the tape circuit whenever a 3.5mm cord was connected without requiring a tape.
I'm also thinking instead of replacing the 3.5mm plug in the radio face plate, I'm going to do a remote mount somewhere in the center console. If I find the tape circuit switch I can put a small toggle switch in the face plate hole to switch between tape and aux.
Of course I could have used the $165 for an after market unit with blue tooth but that would've been to easy. Plus I like the stock look and I want to keep the rear audio controls.

Last edited: