Adding functions to driver info display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutchie

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here with a 2017 Expedition XLT.

The first question that I'd like to ask is about the driver information display in the instrument cluster. The version that is on my truck is located between the tach and speedo (single screen) and I wanted to see if it is possible to add functions to this display. Turn DLR on/off, tire pressures, boost etc. are some of the options I'd like to add.

Much appreciated.

Dutch.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dutch, do some searching on the forum. All of the answers to your questions are literally right here before you. Specifically find the “forscan” thread and spend time reading it. You won’t have any questions left to answer if you read that entire thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HockeyPuck99

Reaction score
Hate to sound stupid, but what is "forscan"?

HavasuMike, check out this link: http://www.forscan.org/

Basically it is a free program that you can download to your computer, which allows you to do a number of things that aren't available through the built in user interface in your car. Below are the main features from the website.

Main features
  • Detect vehicle on-board network configuration
  • Reading of modules' sensors' data
  • Run test diagnostic procedures (not supported in FORScan Lite yet)
  • Run service procedures (not supported in FORScan Lite yet)

OP
OP
Dutchie

Dutchie

Reaction score
I’m definitely getting that setup and peak around to see what we can play with. Always remember to do a backup of your existing settings prior to changing anything.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mike, not stupid at all. I’m actually new on this forum and had no idea either. But I do believe the ForScan thread is now a sticky or a pinned thread now..on my Tapatalk app, it’s literally at the very top of my threads list all the time now. Which I like because I can constantly refer to it and see if anyone has discovered any new tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Not sure what changes you can make to your Type 1 display as I have the Type 2 with the information screen to the far left and a big speedo in the center. I lose the tach display there when I display other data, pretty sure the tach is always present on the Type 1.

Ya need the Forscan software and advanced license (free download from them) and an interface between your PC laptop and the OBD2 port under the dash. Mine is wired and was ~$25 on Amazon.

Tread lightly with any changes and make backups of the truck's data.

-- Chuck

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I need one of them. The first time I saw my display, all it had was the speed. I thought "what a waste". I hope I can change that now.