adding power 3 row seats 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone has had the idea to add a power third row seats to an Expy that dosent have them already, Its a big job and you really need a parts Expy to take everything from. I did this on my 07 and had a 08 parts car to take everything from. you have to remove all the rear interior plastic panels from both sides behind the rear doors. the harness goes to both sides. also that option runs thru the fuse box (smart box) and you have to swap that or get yours programed (don't know if that is possiable). it took me 2 days to take everything out of one and put it into mine. also try to stay with the same year harness as I found out that the 08 uses a different plug to the rear gate harness and had to splice that plug. OH and you have to take out the middle seat out of the second row as the harness runs under it to the other side. the 2wo side seats will tip up out of the way.

chadecoen

Reaction score
You said it brother! I did an 03 xlt. Had a bauer for parts. None of the wires were even there. I was hoping for a plug and play type install. NOPE. Had to add individual wires that were missing in the factory harness of the xlt. Terrible install. Very confusing and time consuming. And after all that, like you said, the programing was wrong. Would not do again.

Quoc

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the same on my 2005 KR. The vehicle has motors under the 3rd row seat, but no harness. What is the best way to add the harness to switches and motors? Do you have a wiring diagram and instructions how to open do this?
Thank you,
Quoc

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another old thread, but has anyone else tried this on a 3rd Gen (2007+)? Does the SJB (Smart Junction Box, i.e. main fuse box behind the right kick panel) need to be reprogrammed or is the connection for the powerfold seat already present?

BTW, you don't really need to pull/swap an entire harness to make this work. Provided the SJB will provide power to the relay, all you need is a heavy gauge wire connected at the battery to a 40 A fuse, a relay, the factory switches (or any momentary heavy-duty 2-way rocker switches that can handle the current), and a connection to the factory ground point G403 behind the interior right rear quarter trim panel. If the SJB won't provide power, you can still get power to the 3rd row seats but the power supply would be hot at all times and this could be a potential safety hazard.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tools for doing that are just starting to become available. Ford can do it through their IDS software. There is now a tool called FORScan that allows owners to tweak the programming of modules in their vehicles:

http://www.forscan.org/