Adding Rear 3rd Row Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone!

I'm new to this forum (1st post) but not new to Ford vehicles.

I am picking up a new 2010 Expedition Limited on Wednesday (upgrading from 2007 Explorer Limited). I noticed that the Navigator has 3rd row speakers in the back pillar, but the Expedition does not.

Has anyone looked at adding the Navigator speakers to the 3rd row pillar in the Expedition?

Will it require a change or upgrade on the amp?

My vehicle will have the Stone interior - same as one of the color choices for the Navigator, so it should match & look factory, but just wanted to know how hard or expensive this might be.

Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AndyGJ

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Well - I obviously did not get a single reply to my question on this one, but I did a little research of my own and thought I would share my results with anyone who may want to add these third row tweeter/midrange speakers for passengers in the "way back" as my kids call it.

I have the Stone color interior on my 2010 Black Limited Expedition. I called the local F/L/M dealer parts counter, and they can get me the Stone color interior 2010 Lincoln Navigator 3rd row speakers AND grills for $56 each (they come together as one unit) or $112 for the complete Left/Right pair.

Now for the local Car Audio shop...total cost to add the two speakers that I provide with professional installation to match the 2010 Navigator is $100 including cutting holes where needed in the "D" pillar, running wires to tap into Rear Channel speaker amp leads, and clean up....approx $100!!

Thus, total cost to get this done is about $220...kids are happy. :)
Dad is lookin pretty cool...:cool:

AndyGJ.

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry for no response, but it was nothing against you, just most of us here roll the old body style (97-02) or 03-06 area....2010 is kinda out of our specialty area...Just make sure you take care of her, I could probably afford it in 5-6 years used....:D

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a great deal especially since you bought the parts from the stealership and paid to have them installed. Is the system still able to get loud since you added more speakers with using an amp?

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
sorry for no response, but it was nothing against you, just most of us here roll the old body style (97-02) or 03-06 area....2010 is kinda out of our specialty area...Just make sure you take care of her, I could probably afford it in 5-6 years used....:D

I take really good care of my vehicles. Most of the time, when I go to sell them one of my family members is waiting in the wings to purchase my ride. This is the first time EVER that I'm trading the 2007 Explorer back to the dealer. The only reason for the upgrade from the Explorer to the new Expedition is with a family of 4 kids, I was running out of space in the 07 anytime we went out of town - even with the largest Thule bubble available on top.

If anyone is after an awesome 2007 Explorer Limited V8 4x4 loaded with every factory option (Sirius, Power Running Boards, factory NAV, Rear DVD, etc), the dealership is only giving me the equivalent of $19,100 for my trade (18,000 trade in value before sales tax)...its not going in until Saturday (not much time)....I even have the original window sticker and 2007 Ford Product brochure along with all maintenance receipts. When I put it up for sale here in GA, not one single call in 3 weeks on several different ad sites. Oh well.

My 1966 Mustang Conv I owned for 21 years, and sold it only to purchase my 2008 Shelby GT Conv in Feb 2008...and Dad bought that from me since it had been in the family for so long.

I usually run my vehicles to 120k to 130k miles (about 6 years worth) and then go back for another vehicle. My 2000 Expedition I sold to my Dad at 125k miles, then he sold it to my brother who still has it running today with 220k miles on it.

I pull the oil at 500 miles and go back with pure synthetic for the rest of its time with me every 5k miles. Get it professionally detailed every 4 months and the regular service work on it - no problems and it always looks like new!!

I also get X plan pricing on vehicles due to my work, so that saves a ton of money and no negotiation hastles. I also worked at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, MI for 4 years in 1990-94, so I bleed Ford Blue ever since...

I'll make sure I offer this one up to a forum member before I do anything with it when it comes time to upgrade. I always love to see my vehicles go to someone who will appreciate what they are getting. I'll post pictures in the new ride/new member area after I get her home this weekend.

Saturday can't get here soon enough!!! Can't wait to be back in an Expedition!!!!!!!:D:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
That's a great deal especially since you bought the parts from the stealership and paid to have them installed. Is the system still able to get loud since you added more speakers with using an amp?

I haven't installed them yet (I pick up the new truck tomorrow AM), but I will have it done this week. I did ask the Car Audio shop about the ablility of the Amp to power these additional speakers and would it mess up the fader control for front/rear.

He assured me that it would not even when I asked if I should add a small amp to possibly power these. He said that if it was a sub, then definitely but these are small tweeters that don't drain a lot of juice...at least that is what he said. I'll let you know when its done...

AndyGJ

bhaycraft

Reaction score
Tryin to do same thing

Hey Andy,

I am trying to do the same thing you are and already called the dealer before I saw this but the pricing I am getting told up here in KY is completely different and i was wondering if you could give me your part numbers and the name of the dealer you called so i can get to the bottom before I purchase. I have a 2010 Exp EL in stone and I was told the matching part numbers for the Nav L is Left 7L7Z4031011AA and the right is 10AA and the price for each up here is $128.20. Quite a difference from your 56 each price.

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
OK - Time for an update...bhaycraft and I have been emailing back and forth over the past 2 months as this project got done for me and here are the basic notes for anyone that wants them.

First, i ordered the individual speakers from the local F/LM dealer, and yes they were the $112 cost listed above. I tested speakers out just loose, and they sounded fine. I contacted several local stereo shops to find out best way to install - add an amp or not. In the end, I didn't want to mess up the factory amp or system, so I opted to add a secondary amp to power these two speakers...amp was 200 watt Kicker that was totally adjustible.

When getting ideas on how to mount, no one had a good plan, so I simply ordered the two rear trim pieces from a 2010 Navigator - prices were (from memory) $140 for one side and $160 for other side. Now comes the real surprise...when the rear D pillar pieces came in, I opened the boxes at the dealership and low and behold, the rear trim pieces INCLUDED the speakers already attached in the proper spot on the panel... now I have an extra set of speakers.

I had local & very good stereo shop install the amp, wires, panels w/speakers...cost of parts was $300 and labor charge of $125 = $425. Total cost for all items (not including first set of speakers) $725 to get the job done.

It looks and sounds awesome!!! You would think it was totally a factory install as the color, fit, & finish match 100% as you would expect, and the sound is incredible and fully controlled from the Sync-Nav stereo system.

I thought the job would be done for the $250 max price, but I did it right since I'll have this one for many years to come and very glad I spent the money to do it right. The kids are in hog heaven and loved it the entire 350 mile trip to the beach this month not to mention when just out running around town.

PM or email me if anyone wants additional info about this...

Email is [email protected]

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Pictures of Installed Speakers

Here are some pictures of my installed speakers in the 3rd row...first two are Right Rear D pillar and third one is Left Rear (sorry about funny picture angle). You can see that the factory panels place the speaker at the optimum height and angle to maximize the sound for the passengers in the third row. Even the 2nd row passengers can hear the speakers as it blends the overall sound nicely. You can hear it very faintly from the front row, if at all, went the fader is centered for all sets of speakers.

I think it really helps out the third row to balance out the sound output of the subwfr for when someone is sitting in that third row...all that base can start to drive you nuts...not so anymore.

Attachments

• HPIM0806.jpg
    HPIM0806.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,703
  • HPIM0807.jpg
    HPIM0807.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,539
  • HPIM0808.jpg
    HPIM0808.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've been wanting to add more speakers for a while before hearing of the navi having 3rd row speakers...it might cost you cuz they'll have to cut and build a shroud for the speakers. i actually have a pic of what i plan on doing...this might be an option for you too...

Attachments

• Speakers in Tailgate.jpg
    Speakers in Tailgate.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 873