Adding Rear 3rd Row Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Upgraded Speakers for 1st & 2nd row

JMCIVER:

Can you tell me what parts you used to upgrade your speakers in the first & second row? I might look at doing that down the road to improve the overall quality of the sound system over the OEM speakers.

I really need to do this in my Shelby GT - those speakers are terrible even with the Mach 500 sound system. Just curious what you went with so that I can benefit from some of your research.:)

Thanks,

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the parts for my system:

Front Speakers:
Infinity Reference 6832cf (component speakers)

Rear Speakers:
Infinity Reference 6832cf (2-way speakers)

3rd Row Speakers:
Infinity Reference 1031t (1" tweeters)

8" Subwoofer:
Polk Audio db840

Amplifiers:
Kicker 08ZX200.4 (35w x 4; 2 of them) - This model has been discontinued now though, but you can probably still find them on eBay or something similar

The front and rear door speakers were direct replacements (size 5x7/6x8). For the tweeters in the front doors, which are part of the component system, I had to enlarge the stock openings a bit with a Dremel tool, but then they fit like a glove. For the 3rd row tweeters I just used a hole drill bit to drill the hole. I mounted the two amplifiers under the second row captain chairs. Even though the sub is an 8" sub, Ford uses a speaker that has mounting holes that are actually closer to 9" so I made an adapter out of a piece of MDF in order to install the new sub in the factory sub box.

One amp powered the front and rear speakers. The other amp powered the sub and 3rd row speakers. I also ran new, quality, speaker wire between the speakers and amplifiers so that noise would not be an issue. Everything sounds so much crisper, clearer and louder (although I don't really play my music loud). The bass is much better as well even though it is still an 8" subwoofer. The bass will not be heard 10 blocks down the street, but I wasn't looking for that anyway. I have been so impressed with the improved sound quality over the OEM system (and I thought the OEM system sounded pretty good) that I am considering getting satellite radio for better, clearer content since my upgraded system really amplifies the "flaws" in standard and even HD radio.

Below are a few pics...

FILE0020.jpg

FILE0024.jpg

rear%252520speaker%2525201.jpg

Last edited:

phocker

Reaction score
Under the captains chairs

I see you mounted the amps under the captains chairs. Did your seats fold down flat before because my 05 has the 40/20/40 second row and if yours still fold flat than that would save me some hassle of trying to stuff my 12 amp and capacitor in the rear panel on the back left false panel.

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Mine are in the back panel, but I regularly carry a small 300psi tire pump underneath one of the second row seats (captains chairs in 2nd row) inside its original box and they close fine, so any small amp should fit easily.

Hope that helps!

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see you mounted the amps under the captains chairs. Did your seats fold down flat before because my 05 has the 40/20/40 second row and if yours still fold flat than that would save me some hassle of trying to stuff my 12 amp and capacitor in the rear panel on the back left false panel.
The captain chairs will almost go completely flat when in the "cargo" position with the amps installed under them now. If I had to estimate, I would say I lost an inch or so of travel for the seats to go completely flat when in the cargo position. It is not enough to make a significant difference if I ever need to put the seats in the cargo position to carry stuff (which is rare for me anyway). Otherwise the seats do not touch the amps when in the up (pictured) or down/normal position. I am not sure how the seats fold or how much clearance you would have in an '05 though.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ jmciver...what are the measurements for your amps? i was thinking about doing the same thing..just havent tried to see if it'll fit...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found it...Dimensions: 10-1/4"L x 9-5/8"W x 2-1/8"H
...now to see what mine measures...whenever i get another truck...i'm taking out the 3rd row...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my installed speakers in the 3rd row...first two are Right Rear D pillar and third one is Left Rear (sorry about funny picture angle). You can see that the factory panels place the speaker at the optimum height and angle to maximize the sound for the passengers in the third row. Even the 2nd row passengers can hear the speakers as it blends the overall sound nicely. You can hear it very faintly from the front row, if at all, went the fader is centered for all sets of speakers.

I think it really helps out the third row to balance out the sound output of the subwfr for when someone is sitting in that third row...all that base can start to drive you nuts...not so anymore.

does anyone know if they will fit in 2nd gens? i may just stick with idea i posted on 1st page...

KINGDELL91

Reaction score
i've been wanting to add more speakers for a while before hearing of the navi having 3rd row speakers...it might cost you cuz they'll have to cut and build a shroud for the speakers. i actually have a pic of what i plan on doing...this might be an option for you too...

the glass work looks pretty nice but, with that 18 you got back there its kinda pointless the main cabin area would be best focal point for your mids and highs IMO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK