Adding Rear 3rd Row Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 12 XLT. I found this thread because I'm in search of a fuller sounding system. Reading the threads though, I may have less options because the first owner chose only the 6 speaker system (tweeters by side view mirror, speakers in front doors and speakers in rear doors). Where is the factory sub (I don't have) location because if I'm going to do this, I may as well install a sub as well.
Rear cargo area on drivers side...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
Looking to do this with 2017. Where do you have to tap the 3rd row speaker wires to? Is there a harness already present in the D pillar, or does this involve something more to get speakers in the 3rs row?

sls1980

Reaction score
Did you find out where to tap in to run sound to the third row?
Looking to do this with 2017. Where do you have to tap the 3rd row speaker wires to? Is there a harness already present in the D pillar, or does this involve something more to get speakers in the 3rs row?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do realize that tapping into existing wire for speakers will most likely overheat the amplifier, whether built into head unit or separate. Most if not all car speakers are a 4 ohm load, and by running the wires in parallel, pos to pos, neg to neg, your dropping that impedance to 2 ohms . The amp isn't designed for that extra load, and subsequent heat. If this is what you want to do, try searching for 8 ohm speakers in the size your fitting in rear, or consider running a separate amp for them if possible.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

sls1980

Reaction score
Not sure if you understand, or I didn't state clearly. I was wondering if, since the Navigator have the option, the wiring was already there under the pillar. It wouldn't be tapping in to the rear door speakers or anything like that. It would be using the factory wiring.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I can speak for the earlier (2010) XLT's. The XLT models usually have a limited harness without the wiring for the subwoofer, steering wheel controls or the rear amp. You have to make a harness.

The better Ford radios have a third plug that feeds the subwoofer and rear amplifier. The base radios just have two plugs.

This probably changed for 2015.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know Ford offered a 6 channel amp. Crutchfield can make up a custom harness for you. They did that for another member that was having problems hooking up his 2007 head unit. You might give them a call. On post #53 you asked one of the others, where did you tap in? That's why I thought you were splicing in. If it's an option, and your vehicles new enough, why can't harness be ordered through Ford?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Max Fernandez

Reaction score
Well, I have been following this thread since some time now, trying to find the best solution for my Expedition Eddie Bauer 2007. I finally made the choice of buying a component tweeter of 1 inch from Infinity, Infinity Kappa 10.9T.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Infinit...001NPXGG6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The installation process was super easy and it took 3 hours from a technician. Space is enough to place the tweeters and crossovers on the back of the panel as shown in the pictures. I connected this to the back speakers without an amplifier (all connected to a Pioneer head unit) and sounded absolutely fantastic. As my expedition has a subwoofer OEM it compensates very well and gives the third-row seat the ambience sound I was looking for and not present before.

Keep in mind you have to buy around 5 meters of speaker wire for each side to connect.

The speakers cost USD$ 75.00, plus USD$ 30.00 for the installation... total USD$ 105 wich was not bad at all for the final result.

Keep in mind any tweeter smaller than 1 inch will be too small for the space... it could work but I would definitely recommend 1 inch as an appropriate option.

See the pictures of the install and final result... if you have any questions, please let me know. I will be glad to help.

Regards,

Max

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member