AdvancTrac and Open diff question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 XLT with advanctrac. It has advanctrac with 3.73 gears, posi up front and open in rear... I had it regeared to 4.56s and am having a few issues.
I never knew it had an open rear end, my question is has anyone with an advanctrac truck ever changed it over to limited slip in the rear?

Thanks help is VERY appreciated
Jared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A limited slip diff would defeat the purpose of AdvanceTrac, and may actually damage the LSD or brakes. I've posted about it a little, but I would argue that AdvanceTrac works better than a limited-slip differential. It brakes the wheel that's spinning. Traction control is the system that limits the throttle and engine power, and can be disabled with the button on the dash. Lots of people hate that feature, and it's pretty terrible sometimes.

Anyway, since it brakes the wheel that's spinning, all available torque can go to the wheel with traction, a limited-slip differential can only send about 50% of available torque to the wheel with grip, since it's locking the outputs together. That could also cause issues, since the computer will pick up on the wheel-spin immediately and brake that wheel while the differential is reacting, which would limit torque to the wheel with grip even further, and could burn up the clutches or the brakes.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A limited slip diff would defeat the purpose of AdvanceTrac, and may actually damage the LSD or brakes. I've posted about it a little, but I would argue that AdvanceTrac works better than a limited-slip differential. It brakes the wheel that's spinning. Traction control is the system that limits the throttle and engine power, and can be disabled with the button on the dash. Lots of people hate that feature, and it's pretty terrible sometimes.

Anyway, since it brakes the wheel that's spinning, all available torque can go to the wheel with traction, a limited-slip differential can only send about 50% of available torque to the wheel with grip, since it's locking the outputs together. That could also cause issues, since the computer will pick up on the wheel-spin immediately and brake that wheel while the differential is reacting, which would limit torque to the wheel with grip even further, and could burn up the clutches or the brakes.
That makes sense, I really didn’t think I would be able to run a lsd with the advanctrac system, at least without having to shut the system off (or pull the fuses) every time I drive the truck.
So since I can’t do the limited slip, do you think if I put an air locker in the rear and shut off advanctrac when it is in use, would I have issues?

I’m trying to just make the truck work a bit better on slippery conditions in the case of snow/ice/sand/mud. (It will be on 37” tires in spring with a 5” lift and again it’s a 2006).

Thanks

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So since I can’t do the limited slip, do you think if I put an air locker in the rear and shut off advanctrac when it is in use, would I have issues?

Yeah, you can't totally disable the AdvanceTrac without pulling fuses. It will always re-engage at higher speeds and when you change 4wd modes. Re-engaging on a locked differential could make your differential get all explodey.

Have you had any problems yet?

I may never understand the distrust so many of us have in these computer systems.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can't totally disable the AdvanceTrac without pulling fuses. It will always re-engage at higher speeds and when you change 4wd modes. Re-engaging on a locked differential could make your differential get all explodey.

Have you had any problems yet?

I may never understand the distrust so many of us have in these computer systems.
Only problem I had was that I grenaded that factory open diff with 3.73s at only 150k miles. When I put the 4.56s in I had a binding on turns and over bumps and I didn’t know what to relate that to.