Advice on new Headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nottmbantam

Reaction score
Folks,
Looking to carry out a couple of minor mods to the Expy. As I bought with black / dark grey wheels, I'd like to install smoked out / black headlights and also a matching grille. Have had a quick look on eBay - anyone fitted these things before?

Looks like a simple plug and play installation, and is the projector type, rather than fully blown LED type ( I'm not a technical expert , as you can probably conclude ).

Am I right in thinking if I went for full LED conversion, there more needed for the installation ( re-writing, crimping/ splicing/ ballasts etc)

I don't think the stock headlights that good TBH, so looking to upgrade and also looking for a style / colour.

Cheers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2014-F...ash=item2a51ef075f:g:MsMAAOSwOVpXUIDB&vxp=mtr

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In person, IMO, the truck looks like it wants to be a Tahoe. I've seen these (or something very similar, complete with neon tube) on a 3rd gen Expedition and was not impressed. Can't speak to the light output quality though.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the look of them - wish there was something similar for 97-02. There is a neon tube version for my vintage but it isn't as polished looking like these are. These are almost OEM looking in execution - at least waht you can tell from the little ebay pics.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thumbs up on the link to headlight think it would give it a nice look but id have a hard time paying what they asking for em but thats just me i am a cheap ass

OP
OP
nottmbantam

nottmbantam

Reaction score
thumbs up on the link to headlight think it would give it a nice look but id have a hard time paying what they asking for em but thats just me i am a cheap ass

There are cheaper versions, the link is perhaps the most expensive of that type of item! I know I'd like the blacked out look to complement the wheels i already have, but just wondered if anyone has fitted anything this before.

Are the projection lights any good? Better than stock?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the look of these. They're actually the same lights Seth used on "Aspen" except that his are clear rather than smoked.

As for the performance, the projectors in them aren't really projectors so they don't perform as well as you'd think. I've seen them in person on other Expeditions and don't think they're any brighter than stock. I was actually looking at getting the very same lights for my Expedition though and fitting them with real projectors. The only thing holding me back is that I need about 5.1" of length inside the housing and without the housing open in front of me, I have no way of knowing for sure if the 5.1" projectors will fit.

FWIW the lights you linked, every other light like it on eBay and the actual Spyder-branded lights are all the exact same light made by the same factories; only the branding is different. Just get the cheapest one.

OP
OP
nottmbantam

nottmbantam

Reaction score
I like the look of these. They're actually the same lights Seth used on "Aspen" except that his are clear rather than smoked.

As for the performance, the projectors in them aren't really projectors so they don't perform as well as you'd think. I've seen them in person on other Expeditions and don't think they're any brighter than stock. I was actually looking at getting the very same lights for my Expedition though and fitting them with real projectors. The only thing holding me back is that I need about 5.1" of length inside the housing and without the housing open in front of me, I have no way of knowing for sure if the 5.1" projectors will fit.

FWIW the lights you linked, every other light like it on eBay and the actual Spyder-branded lights are all the exact same light made by the same factories; only the branding is different. Just get the cheapest one.

That's useful to know - there are some that look virtually the same but around half the price!

ShillyDilly

Reaction score
I got everything for around $250 to do HID and new assemblies. 20,000k headlights, 6,000k fogs

Lights are crazy bright too. Definitely recommend the upgrade.

PicsArt_02-04-02.57.30.jpg

PicsArt_02-04-02.59.30.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze