Aftermarket add on or Factory???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpeltzel

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a problem or by choice from the previous owner, and hopefully i can explain it without confusing everyone.
My 4r100 shifts strong and normal when in D, but if I select 2 it will be in 2nd gear and only 2nd gear.

For example, I am stopped, I select the shifter to 2, it will start and stay in 2nd gear, not start in 1st then shift to 2nd when up to speed. That's not normal right?

I do actually like it, when I'm in 4 low and don't need to be in that low of gearing, it starts and gets around nicely.
I just have to be careful when in a hurry (everyday driving in AAWD) and throwing the shifter from R to D I'll overthrow and go to 2 and accelerate sluggish and I know is hard on those bands, plates and converter

Fluid, though in need of a change soon, is a nice red and smell

Thanks in advance

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Working as designed. You put it in 2nd gear and you get 2nd gear. Just like a manual.

OP
OP
jpeltzel

jpeltzel

Reaction score
Well never mind then, thanks Flex. This is only the 2nd auto tranny (first truck w/ an auto) I've owned and every one i have driven shifted when in 2

thanks again

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, Flexpedition is right. We had a thousand foot drop in four miles from our driveway to the main road and used 2nd on our first three Expeditions most of the way. Sure saved a lot of brake jobs. Now the 2013 transmission isn't my favorite, but that's another thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze