Aftermarket lift kit or load leveling kit for the 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmendez553

Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT Expedition with tow kit. I'm towing a 8k+ lb 35'11'' travel trailer that has a tongue weight of about 900lbs. I've hitched the camper to the expy on two road trips and the trucks done well, but I'd like to add something more to the rear suspension so it lifts the rear a little more for added assurance. I know that I'm really pushing it with the size of the trailer but I don't want to let go of either the Expy or the trailer. What aftermarket load leveling kit is compatible with the '16 Expy that I can install to the independent rear suspension?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT Expedition with tow kit. I'm towing a 8k+ lb 35'11'' travel trailer that has a tongue weight of about 900lbs. I've hitched the camper to the expy on two road trips and the trucks done well, but I'd like to add something more to the rear suspension so it lifts the rear a little more for added assurance. I know that I'm really pushing it with the size of the trailer but I don't want to let go of either the Expy or the trailer. What aftermarket load leveling kit is compatible with the '16 Expy that I can install to the independent rear suspension?
I assume you are using a weight distributing hitch? Do you have the factory Load leveling shocks?

OP
OP
J

Jmendez553

Reaction score
yes, I have a weight distributing hitch and I have the factory shocks. I'm hoping this will be sufficient?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes, I have a weight distributing hitch and I have the factory shocks. I'm hoping this will be sufficient?
The regular factory shocks, or the Rear load leveling? There is a difference.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regular factory shocks. I think the load leveling only comes in the limited package.

They are an option on all Trim levels if the Heavy Duty Trailer package is added. You can swap them in to yours if it doesn't have them. They are Nivomat Mechanical Leveling shocks. Nothing else has to be added.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are an option on all Trim levels if the Heavy Duty Trailer package is added. You can swap them in to yours if it doesn't have them. They are Nivomat Mechanical Leveling shocks. Nothing else has to be added.
Any idea how they actually work. I keep reading about valving and tubing but I don't understand how they can pump themselves up under load.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any idea how they actually work. I keep reading about valving and tubing but I don't understand how they can pump themselves up under load.

Not a mechanical Engineer or anything but the concept has to do with fluid level in a main reservoir. When the shock maintains a static compression more than desired the natural movement of the shock up and down pumps more fluid in to the main reservoir there by increasing the pressure in the main reservoir. Because of that valving the shocks are wider than most. http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/nivomat-shock-absorbers-self-leveling-monotube-ride-control-units/

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a mechanical Engineer or anything but the concept has to do with fluid level in a main reservoir. When the shock maintains a static compression more than desired the natural movement of the shock up and down pumps more fluid in to the main reservoir there by increasing the pressure in the main reservoir. Because of that valving the shocks are wider than most. http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/nivomat-shock-absorbers-self-leveling-monotube-ride-control-units/
See that picture always confuses me. Is there a reservoir that hast to be mounted separately and then does tubing have to run from that reservoir to each shock? That the confusing part or is it all self-contained within the each shock?