Aftermarket Upper Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there any beefed up aftermarket upper control arms for the 2nd gens? Or maybe 04-08 f150 upper control arms will work?

Thanks

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw a thread a while ago on here where someone was trying to install uniball upper control arms made for the f150. I couldn't find the thread but maybe someone else can. Other than that it's basically Motorcraft if you want quality.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Moog premium control arms when I did mine. They're high quality and greasable. The problem with the stock units was the dust boots that cracked at about 50k miles and turned the whole ball joint to crap. The geometry is a little different in the later year F150 and Expedition so I would be leery of going that route. You'd run into all kinds of issues with alignments. There's not much load on the upper control arms, they just keep the steering knuckle aligned as it moves up and down. All the weight is supported by the lower arm and it's ball joint. The lower wears out much faster than the upper does.

-Mike

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am just worried about the load of the rancho quick lifts with the 3.5/2.5 spacers

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the dust boots currently torn on your upper ball joints ? That would warrant replacing the assembly, or if you notice excessive play at the upper ball joint or bushing area. But the lift load is entirely between the upper shock mount and the lower control arm assembly, not the upper. You will see play and hear knocking from the lower ball joints long before you ever see it in the uppers. If you lift it that much make sure to get the alignment checked afterwards.

-Mike

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the dust boots currently torn on your upper ball joints ? That would warrant replacing the assembly, or if you notice excessive play at the upper ball joint or bushing area. But the lift load is entirely between the upper shock mount and the lower control arm assembly, not the upper. You will see play and hear knocking from the lower ball joints long before you ever see it in the uppers. If you lift it that much make sure to get the alignment checked afterwards.

-Mike
No they arent ripped I just know that when I lifted my 03 explorer I had to replace them right away or else it would rip out of the arm and cause major issues. I didn't know if the expeditions had the same issue