Air Bag Light Code 52

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibbers18

Reaction score
hello Everyone:

I recently finished a heater core replacement on my 97 expy. Finally got all the conenctors back together and a new battery installed. Started the car for a test drive and the air bag light started flashing.

The flash Code I am getting is 52. My OBDII Diagnostic tool does not show any codes that I can clear, so the air bag light stays on after flashing the Code 52.

I have read other forums talking about resetting this for mustangs, as seen here:

Mustang 1995 Air Bag Diagnostic Codes

Guess my question is what does the 52 really mean, and how can I reset it? Messing with airbag stuff, especially with the car on, is a little intimidating.

Thanks!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The below is interesting reading and overkill for a bomb device:

This has been copied from:
www.taurusclub.com/.../59001d1268414123-g3-airbags-air_bag_permant_code_clearing.doc:

Air Bag Permanent code clearing

Ok, after a code 12, you will get a code 52, this is part of the diagnostic system.

Any intermittent or FIXED code will ADD 40 to the original code. 99% of the time this indicates that you HAD a problem, and the problem was corrected.

If you had a code 12, and fixed it, you will have 52. Is it fixed? YES!!! Why? Because you still have a code 52, and NOT a code 12 indicating the fuse blew again.

It is very easy to clear the Airbag Memory from the diagnostic monitor on a Ford.

I just replaced the clockspring on a Crown Vic, and had to do this procedure, so read carefully:

Procedure to Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes from Diagnostic Monitor Non-Volatile

Random Access Memory

Refer to «Deactivation» Procedure.
The air bag diagnostic monitor continually checks the air bag system for readiness. When a fault condition is detected, the DTC associated with that fault is stored in the air bag diagnostic monitor's Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM). After writing the DTC to NVRAM, the air bag diagnostic monitor signals the fault by flashing the appropriate diagnostic trouble code on the air bag indicator.
The diagnostic trouble code written to NVRAM is permanently stored in the air bag diagnostic monitor until cleared by the diagnostic trouble code clearing procedure.

Upon each cycle of the ignition switch, the air bag diagnostic monitor checks for diagnostic trouble codes written in NVRAM. If any diagnostic trouble codes exist in NVRAM, the air bag diagnostic monitor will then check to see if these fault conditions are still present.

If the conditions of the diagnostic trouble code in NVRAM are still present, then the air bag diagnostic monitor will use the air bag indicator to flash out the diagnostic trouble code number that was written in memory.

If the conditions of the diagnostic trouble code are not still present (indicating an intermittent or serviced fault), the air bag diagnostic monitor will use the air bag indicator to flash out a DTC which is the sum of the diagnostic trouble code in NVRAM plus 40.

Example: Due to corrosion, high resistance develops on the driver side air bag circuit. The air bag diagnostic monitor stores a diagnostic trouble code 32 in NVRAM. Upon each cycle of the ignition switch, the air bag diagnostic monitor checks the resistance of the driver air bag circuit.

l If the resistance is still high, the air bag diagnostic monitor causes the air bag indicator to flash out a DTC 32.

l If the resistance falls within the normal range due to service or an intermittent condition, the air bag diagnostic monitor causes DTC 72 to be flashed on the air bag indicator.

Once a fault has been serviced, the associated diagnostic trouble code may be cleared from NVRAM. Only diagnostic trouble codes that the air bag diagnostic monitor sees as repaired or intermittent may be cleared (diagnostic trouble codes 52 and above). In no circumstances can hard fault conditions (diagnostic trouble codes 45 and below) be cleared.

HERE WE GO:

1. Follow the diagnostic procedures as outlined to service the fault condition flashing on the air bag indicator.

2. Cycle the ignition switch to OFF and then to RUN.

3. Observe air bag indicator prove-out (six ± two seconds) followed by diagnostic trouble code (52-85) flashing completely one time.

4. Locate the Diagnostic "Trouble Code Clear" Connector located underneath the glove compartment (06010) containing Circuits 631 (T/R) and 57 (BK).

5. Use a jumper wire to short Circuit 631 (T/R) to Circuit 57 (BK) or to another good ground. This short must be made after the diagnostic trouble code flashes completely one time, but before the warning light stays on continuously.

6. Hold short until air bag diagnostic monitor tone sounds (approximately five seconds).

7. Release short on Circuit 631 (T/R) to Circuit 57 (BK). This short must be released within 25 seconds after the diagnostic monitor tone sounds.

Diagnostic trouble code is now cleared from NVRAM. Next highest priority diagnostic trouble code stored in NVRAM (if one exists) will begin flashing.

It is right under the glove box. You don't have to remove the glovebox; it can be seen right under the glovebox. It's a small grey connector, but with two pins inside.

It works.... The connector is gray pigtail with a two prongs in it, the middle will be empty, and this connector is hanging out by the monitor.

BTW, the light will clear itself in 80 ignition cycles.

makgdaddy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot stamp! I've searched all over, including you-tube. Will give this a shot when I get off the boat.

Al Harper

Reaction score
Millions of posts about this infamous 52 error code and verbal descriptions on where the 2 connector reset connector is, but none of them seems to be accurate as far as my 98 Expedition goes. Does anyone have any pictures of where this 2 pin reset connector is on a 1998 Expedition?

Al

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Codes

DTC B1867
Lamp Fault Code, flashed on air bag indicator 12/52 Lost or low battery voltage

Since you had the Dash out check the following fusses

Under the hood Fuse #2

Under the dash Fuse #13 and #22