Air Suspension Jacked All The Way Up All The Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Steele

Reaction score
1997 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 4WD w/ rear air bags, front air shocks (all new).

When I turn the pump switch on, it jacks up, shuts off a few seconds, then jacks some more, shuts off, and more and more. I have to cut it off as I know pump will burn out. And car is sitting WAY up high all the way around. It's not in 4WD. At first I thought maybe this is the height it rises to in 4WD (I don't use 4WD at all as last time many years ago it got stuck in 4WD) but I don't remember it going up this high, just a few inches. But even if that is what is happening it doesn't explain why it keeps cycling on trying to go even higher. I think all four are at the very top of their travel and pump still comes on. I shut switch off and all four stay pumped for weeks, so I guess no leak.

Something is fried. My mechanic's been at this for weeks with no solution.

Thanks guys! Hoping for a quick and easy DUH fix. :)

OP
OP
B

Ben Steele

Reaction score
Wow, bunch of views but not a single suggestion or question. Is my explanation clear or have I stumped the panel? :)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably bad sensors for ride height...honestly I converted my air to coils so I don't have to worry about which component is messed up...strutmasters and suncore

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
B

Ben Steele

Reaction score
Thank you sir. That's a beut you have there. Already replaced height sensor. Maybe I should try again?

My gut told me many moons and $$$ ago to replace with regular suspension and I didn't listen because I liked the air ride so much. Big SUV with Lincoln ride. Problem started with just 1 rear air bag. Then the other. Then got the money together to do the front shocks which worked OK but bounced a lot. Also did the control arms, etc. And replaced the GEM as lots of electrical stuff was acting up and I had just replaced the windshield due to the classic leak. Still troubles so replaced the GEM fuse panel. Then this no shut-off/high ride issue. Replaced the front height sensor.

I think possible the new GEM got fried in the old fusebox as things seemed to work right for a few seconds and then zonk. But my mechanic doesn't respond to that theory as I think he's going to want me to want him to pay for the replacement GEM as I'm ordering all of this stuff online myself. And he has a guy who will program the GEM but it's going to cost $200. So what to do?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you've ruled out a leak somewhere?

ride height only goes up to the extended height when in reverse and 4LO.

I would check the ride height sensors, again. There is also an air union coupler under the master cylinder that fails, a relatively inexpensive part, but vital to directing air to front and rear (Ford # 2L1Z-5B322-AA). I replaced mine in '09.

OP
OP
B

Ben Steele

Reaction score
Thank you. There was a leak at one time which we fixed. Now no leak as once it pumps up it stays pumped up, right? What are the symptoms if that union coupler goes as by your description it doesn't sound like it fits my situation?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know nothing about air suspensions but AM well versed in control systems for various mechanical & hydraulic systems and if you have ruled out the ride height sensors & leakage, it almost sounds like the "system" thinks that the pressure is too low. This is causing it to continue cycling. It's evidently getting "satisfied" momentarily then cycling again....

Could the internal pressure sensor be bad? If the system gathers info from multiple sources, I would look at each of those, one at a time. You can "fool" most sensors into reading satisfied by simply finding out if it's a normally open or normally closed in the satisfied position. Keep in mind that most sensors are designed to fail in safe mode.

For instance, a 24V natural gas or gasoline solenoid is a normally closed valve because you wouldn't want it to fail wide open. You CAN find them built the other way but MOST will fail safe.

We had a situation on a large rooftop packaged AC unit. The unit was kicking out on low oil pressure. The Factory Rep told my guy that he had replaced the oil press sensor so it must be something else. My guy started to leave and I grabbed him and asked him why he was going. He said "I told him what's wrong, but he knows better" I told the Fac rep to pull and test the press sensor.....yes, both the old one and the new one were both wrong. Both were tripping at 4PSI when they were supposed to trip at 6. We reset the calibration by bending a tang and Bingo, all was well. The moral is don't assume something is right that you haven't verified.

good luck

jeff

OP
OP
B

Ben Steele

Reaction score
Thank you Jeff. That's the kind of outside the box thinking I like. Does anyone know where these sensors might be and how to check them?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gee Jeff, old school diagnosis. You must be an old 'timer like myself. I would expect a high pressure cut out but not a ride height based on pressure. Those are normally set mechanically.

Ben how did you prove the ride height sensor is good and the pump/controller is receiving the signal? Also are you in a northern state that salts the roads in winter?

OP
OP
B

Ben Steele

Reaction score
Stamp, no idea. Let me get my friend and mechanic Mike in on this discussion. Car is from MI where it spent its first year or two and been in Tampa Bay ever since. Thanks!