Air Suspension Jacked All The Way Up All The Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, after reading all the nonsense on troubleshooting that system on a 99, my only advice to you is take it to a dealer or replace the air bags with the conversion springs.

The system has an air suspension module that controls all the goodies. Of course it requires the dealer scan tool or a shop that has a scan tool with all the dtc's that Ford uses. First step is to retrieve the codes stored in the module then go from there. Until you can get those the only thing you are able to do is check the voltage returned by the rear ride height sensor.

Just a portion from the manual:

1. Turn the ignition key ON.
  1. Connect New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester to the data link connector (DLC).
  1. Select the proper vehicle year, model and engine type.
  1. Select 4WAS-AIR SUSP/EVO (4x2 and 4x4) module.
  1. Measure vehicle rear height (driver side) from the bottom of the frame to the rear jounce bumper bolt rear side of head base.
  1. Using NGS Tester, adjust rear height to 146.8 ± 2 mm by moving the rear of the vehicle down using the active command ("VENT_REAR") or by moving the rear of the vehicle up ("LIFT_REAR") in PID RHGTSEN.
  1. Monitor the rear height sensor voltage on the right side of the NGS screen.
  1. Loosen the ball stud nut on the rear air suspension height sensor bracket and adjust it by moving it with the air suspension height sensor up or down until the voltage is 2.66 ± 0.02 volt.
  1. Tighten the ball stud nut.
Even going through those steps you don't know what is causing the pump to cycle.

OP
OP
B

Ben Steele

Reaction score
Is the air suspension module separate from the GEM which we already replaced? I'm thinking it is. Mechanic Mike, please comment here so we can all learn a thing or two. I'm guessing we have some shorted out components starting with the new GEM before you replaced the fuse panel. And then the air suspension module as it probably got wet too from the window leak???

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This problem of being jacked up or fully filled all the time, is not a common or normal problem, unless the vehicle was lifted with switch not shut off, or , the suspension allowed to hang causing sensors ,mostly rears, to get damaged.

As far as air suspension control module, those very rarely go out, not saying it can't, just saying very rare.

I have no idea how you raised the vehicle, so I am tossing this out there.

Very rare problem you are having.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going over your problem,

Pump works, we know because of your over filled bags
Solenoids work cause your air pump filled bags
Height Sensors front replaced , rears tested ?
No leaks

If your rear sensors test good, then what may be going on , is, your air suspension module may have changed the normal ride height higher for what ever reason.

The one thing I noticed you have not mentioned, and that is, the air never releases to adjust height when, say , in park after a drive.

You have a set ride height, plus 1" higher , minus -1" lower , from set ride height, yours does not move I assume.

Solution, take it to your local dealer, tell them all the new parts, no leaks etc, have them hook up to your module, from here they can tell all about what your system is doing, the can also, check and reset the ride height to proper setting.

Would like to see this problem fixed for you.