Airbag code 52 on 1997

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97 Expedition 4.6 EB.

yesterday I misread a fuse diagram and accidentally pulled the 10amp "airbag diagnostic monitor" in the fuse block in the engine compartment. (Boy I feel stupid now) Now wherever I go it flashes airbag code 52 and then will burn steady for a while.

I've done some searching for connector you can reset behind the passenger kick panel but this is the only connector I have found, and it has purple/pink and green wires instead of the tan/red and black that are mentioned in other articles. I'm not sure I'm comfortable shorting the two wires if I don't know what they're for.

I checked all airbag fuses. Is this something that will reset itself eventually or am I stuck with it ? The airbags aren't going to randomly deploy one day are they ? 80add696102ecf4457d962cceec78988.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately I left it disconnected for about an hour and after reconnecting I still had the same 5-2 code

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just read this on the net

1.Power down the vehicle. First turn off the engine of the vehicle. Power down any electronics such as car stereo systems or GPS navigation systems.
2. Disconnect the battery. Completely disconnect the battery and leave it disconnect for around fifteen minutes. This will reset the on-board diagnostic computer and hopefully clear the airbag code 52. The majority of the airbag code 52 errors are easily resolved by resetting the on-board computer in this fashion.
3. Reconnect the battery. Reconnect the battery cables securely and in the proper order.
4. Check for airbag code 52. Test and see if you are still receiving airbag code 52. If not, the problem has been resolved. If you are still receiving the airbag code 52, proceed to the next step.
5. Test and replace the diagnostic monitor. If the airbag code 52 still continues you may need to check the diagnostic monitor. The diagnostic monitor may be experiencing problems which are causing a false airbag code 52. If you are unsure how to do this or need further assistance it is best to contact a Ford dealer or authorized Ford repair shop.

Additional Information:

• Airbag code 52 may be caused by a loose connection or water/cleaning chemicals entering the connection.
• Typically airbag code 52 occurs after a full car wash or battery replacement.
• If all else fails, contacting an authorized Ford repair shop or dealer is the best alternative.

You may want to disconnect the battery and recheck the connectors to see if a pin got dislodged or bent Clean the connections

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing this isn't anything I could clear through the OBD ?

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also tried shorting the two wires on the connector I posted but it did nothing

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table DTC LFC Description Action To Take
B1342 24 Air bag diagnostic monitor is faulted (retrieved only during On-Demand Self Test) GO to Pinpoint Test Q .
B1867 12/52 Lost or low battery voltage GO to Pinpoint Test A .
B1869 — No air bag indicator — inoperative indicator circuit GO to Pinpoint Test S .
B1913 13/53 Air bag circuit short to ground GO to Pinpoint Test B .
B1914 14/54 Air bag sensor circuit shorted to ground GO to Pinpoint Test C .
B1921 21 Air bag diagnostic monitor ground circuit open or not mounted to the vehicle properly GO to Pinpoint Test D .
B1922 22 Safing sensor output circuit shorted to battery voltage GO to Pinpoint Test E .
B1923 23 Memory clear circuit improperly grounded GO to Pinpoint Test F .
B1924 24 System disarm fault GO to Pinpoint Test Q .
B1932 32 Driver side air bag module circuit high resistance or open GO to Pinpoint Test G .
B1933 33 Passenger side air bag module circuit high resistance or open GO to Pinpoint Test H .
B1934 34 Driver side air bag module circuit low resistance or shorted GO to Pinpoint Test J .
B1935 35 Passenger side air bag module circuit low resistance or shorted GO to Pinpoint Test K .
B1941 41 RH air bag sensor feed/return circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test L .
B1942 42 LH air bag sensor feed/return circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test M .
B1944 44 RH air bag sensor not mounted to the vehicle properly or ground circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test N .
B1945 45 LH air bag sensor not mounted to the vehicle properly or ground circuit open GO to Pinpoint Test P .

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code, retrieved using New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester.

LFC - Lamp Fault Code, flashed on air bag indicator.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So when you do disconnect the battery to reset the modules, disconnect both leads from the battery and touch them together. This will drain any power left in the system.

Yes, you can read and reset airbag and abs codes through the obd2 port. You need a scanner that is capable. I have an Autel that will do it.

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm SOL unless I go get a scanner somewhere haha. I've tried everything I know to do. According to what I've read the 5-2 code means the fault is fixed but the airbag monitor records it anyway and flashes the code.

What's the worst case scenario? They just don't deploy if I have a wreck ?

Thanks everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman