AirBag Light Code 42 Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mahelinski

Reaction score
My 2006 Limited Expedition just started having the airbag light come on after about ten minutes of driving. The airbag light will flash a two digit code, for this repair the light will flash (4) times then pause then flash (2) times and repeat for three sequences before lighting up solid.

A detailed repair with pictures was found on the F-150 forums:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/393407-airbag-light-dtc-42-fix.html

My Expedition had the same problem with the front impact sensor, limited connection corrosion, but once replaced no more airbag light. I did not cut mine open per the link but I'm sure it was gummed up inside.

Part Number for airbag front impact sensor:

New Part #6L1Z-14B004-AA
Old Part #6L1Z-14B004-AB

The new sensor hit me for about $60 including tax. :)

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Good find... truck just started doing this last week... looks like $60 and it'll go away. What a joke. Sensors should last the life of the vehicle now days.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
I just thought I'd update this thread... I went ahead and changed the sensor on mine and it fixed the issue as well. However mine was a simply diagnosis... when I unplugged the harness from the sensor one of the pins from the sensor was still in the harness. Apparently the pins corroded and broke free from typically driving vibrations. Anyway the new sensor once connected solved the issue obviously. I went ahead and put black RTV silicone around the sensor base just as a added precaution to attempt to prevent water ingression on the sensor. Also I might add that I purchased my sensor from Tousley Ford and it was only $44.72 + tax (I live local to the dealership so I just picked it up rather then pay shipping).

JAG63

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i also did this fix but my plug and sensor was not salvageable, obviously ford knows about his problem because my local ford store had the airbag sensor and wiring harness section in stock, cost me $90 out the door with dealer discount. this was all done on my 2004 EB

Dragon67

Reaction score
i also did this fix but my plug and sensor was not salvageable, obviously ford knows about his problem because my local ford store had the airbag sensor and wiring harness section in stock, cost me $90 out the door with dealer discount. this was all done on my 2004 EB

I had the same problem, but already ordered the sensor. Can anyone help me out with the part number for the harness? It is a 2003 Expedition. Thanks!

JAG63

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dragon 67 ignore the PM i sent you, what i told you in the PM was a separate issue. My parts guy at ford literally told me your probably going to need this and handed me the wire section, any half way decent parts guy should be able to look it up. it is the front impact severity sensor

Dragon67

Reaction score
dragon 67 ignore the PM i sent you, what i told you in the PM was a separate issue. My parts guy at ford literally told me your probably going to need this and handed me the wire section, any half way decent parts guy should be able to look it up. it is the front impact severity sensor

Thanks very much. A local dealer had the connector. About $30. I installed the sensor and solder/spliced the harness. No more error, which is good.

Couple questions, if you don't mind. The old sensor had no clearance where it slid over the bolt. I basically had to pry it off. The new sensor had about a mm all the way around. I was wondering if some kind of spacer is needed?

Also curious how this thin actuates. Is it all electronic, or is there a mechanical component? Probably a silly question, but I don't know. I covered the connection in RTV silicone to prevent water infiltration in the future. Want to make sure this sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Thanks!

JAG63

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i also covered mine in rtv silicone. it has a computer chip inside which i believe senses an impact. i had to pry off my old sensor with a pair of visegrips for almost 20 mins. i think it coroded itself to the bolt. i just simply sanded down the bolt and connecting area and re installed with the battery disconnected. 2,000 miles on it with no issues. i

Last edited:

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Well I figured I'd update this thread again... so here I am once again experiencing the SRS code 42. Ugh. This is ridiculous. Pulled the same sensor out and the pins still look good this time. The dielectric grease I had placed there back in 2011 was still doing its job. No corroded pins that I could see. I cleaned up the ground contact on the sensor body as well as the surface on the frame. Reinstalled everything and the fault is still present. I'll have to remove the connector on the harness and check to see if there are any issues with the harness now.

I will say this... I'm not very impressed with the quality on this truck. I had to replace all of my brake lines this last fall too. The lines were corroded everywhere. I was able to buy the lines so I made my own with good quality coated lines and new fittings. I would have expected more from Ford on this. I guess I'll be moving away from them in the future. I even get a nice discount since my day is a retired employee of Ford too.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12-13 years on original brake lines? If you are in the salt belt then that's pretty normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni