All Terrain tire choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Good morning all. I am planning on getting some new tires shortly for my 2006 Limited 4WD. I would like an all terrain tire as opposed to a highway tire. I have narrowed the choices down to the following tires.

Hankook Dynapro AT-M
General Grabber AT-2
BFG Rugged Terrain T/A

Does anyone have experience with one or more of these tires, and what are the thoughts on which would be a better tire for mostly highway with some light off road use? The Mojave Desert, Angeles National Forest, and Eastern Sierra Nevada mountains would be the likely off pavement locations where they would be taken.

Thank you in advance, and i look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Jyates

Reaction score
I had thr hankooks on my explorer that traded for expedition. Thry were great. Low noise on road with good wet traction. Drove on the beach with them, i aired them down and thr did perfect. Traction in snow was fantastic. Light mud is ok, but when you get in thr deep tacky stuff you might slide around. the wet clay was where my problems were, i never got stuck just had to push it harder. Tread wear excellent. My experience with them were 5 star, as soon as the Michelins go ill replace them with the hankooks

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any all-terrain in mud (especially clay mud) will be horrible.

I don't have any personal experience with any of those, but the Hankooks do seem to be an economical choice for lots of people around here.

A group called Expedition Overland (Expedition Overland) uses the Generals on their rigs that have been to the northern tip of Alaska to the southern tip of Central America. Of course they are a sponsor, so that helps. Prior to using this tire they were using the BFG KO tires.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't really go wrong with any of them.

I have Duratracs on my Jeep currently (265/75-16). They are pretty decent, but are getting noisier as they age. They are not that great in slick conditions like wet roads near/at freezing - could use more siping.

I put a set of Falken Wildpeak ATs on my Expedition last month (305/65-18). On road performance seems quite good and they are quiet. I haven't had a chance to try them off-road yet (truck is new to me - needs more baselining as budget allows). Reviews online are decent so I figured I'd give them a go as an experiment.

The Falkens don't look super aggressive but depending on your intended usage may be agressive enough. I intentionally bought tires heavily biased to street this time around. If I get in a situation where I get stuck I'll pull the winch line and/or use it as an excuse to lock the axles in the near future.

Last edited:

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Currently on the Hankooks. Great tire. Quiet and I have had no issues in the rain. I am looking forward to seeing what they do in the snow.

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Run away from the BFG rugged terrains. They were on my 2009 when i bought it. Absolute worst tire i have ever had on a vehicle ever. Not too many people here when i had posted had much good to say about those tires either.

One to add to your list. Is the MULTIMILE Wild Country radial XTX. This is what i replaced my rugged terrains with and the change in the way the truck drives is night and day. They are also quite reasonably priced over some of the other all terrain tires. I highly reccomend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I vote Hankook if those are my only choice. None of those are a true all Terran and none impress me. Our CFO actually got the Hankooks for a leased truck he has because they were under 500 bucks out the door (275/50R20s) and they seem to be ok but they are so new it's hard to tell.

I rent about 20 or 30 SUVs a year all over the country for work and can say one thing, there is nothing that beats a set of Michelin's hands down. I run the LTX AT2s on all my trucks at the office and at the house (unless they are 19.5 or 24.5s then I run a different Michelin). The only time I've seen Michelin's have issues it in Northern Alberta where the temps drop below -40 and the rubber is so dang hard it's hard get traction.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too have heard really good things about the Michelin tires. They are expensive, but like most things, you get what you pay for.

I have a set of the MS2s on my wife's Escape. Great tires.

OP
OP
S

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the information on your experiences with the tires. I do still have some tread life in the Michelins that are currently mounted, so I have a bit of time to consider. I just don't know how old the tires are, since they were on the vehicle when i bought it last year.

The ratings on the Hankooks seemed pretty good, so I was leaning towards them. I am glad that the experiences that people have had with them has been good.

Many years ago I had the BFG Radial All-Terrains mounted on a 1986 4Runner I was driving. They were a good tire on that vehicle, and had good grip when I needed it, so that was the only reason that I mentioned the Rugged Terrains as a possible option.

Again, thank you for the input gentlemen.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just swapped out my Pirelli Scorpion OEM tires for Michelin LTX M/S2 s. The Michelins are a little squirmy on dry roads, by comparison. But I really got them for pulling my boat up rustic boat ramps (mud) and taking the family skiing (snow), and I haven't had a chance to evaluate them in those situations yet.

I was surprised about pricing. Sure, they were almost $200 a piece, but the popular on-line tire retailer's prices were a little deceptive. They didn't include mounting, balancing, allignment check, TSP service or disposal of the old tires. With those costs added in, my best price was at a local, national retailer that used to have a really big catalog.