All with the mpg crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I remember a few weeks ago someone here posted about the sweet spot for most mpg's and what's not, anyways today I remembered it when I got home from a round trip to Iowa from Chicago and back,

Tank was empty so I filled up just prior to leaving and drove like a grandpa doing 65 on cruise the entire time, got to my destination, did my work and filled up again before driving back like a mad man with an occasional 100+ Sprints but I did maintain 90 almost the entire time

Anyways long story short
From Chicago to Iowa it's 200 miles one way, driving like an old man who gave up on his life a long time ago took 3hrs 5 minutes to arrive and wasted 12.3 gallons for a 16.2 MPG average

Filled up again and drove the exact distance back like I'm on one of those high pursuit videos and it took me 2hrs 11 minutes, wasted 14.3 gallons for an average of 13.9 MPG.

I saved 54 minutes for a price difference of $5.90 in gas.... ARE YOU EFFIN KIDDING ME! I'll take that hour less of driving any day for an extra $6 bucks,

I guess there's no point to this thread but I passed so many hybrid cars going and coming back that it just makes me laugh they bought this crap turd of a car just to save a penny on the dollar, but they spent twice that acquiring that same car over its gasoline Counterpart and that right there gets nothing but...

image.jpeg

sesmith

Reaction score
An expedition is not exactly the car I'd buy if I were looking for fuel economy... We bought our 2007 to tow our boat, and use as a second vehicle. That said, I usually get 14-15 mpg around home commuting to work when I use it for that, and can get 19-20 mpg on the highway (not dogging it either). With the 6000 lb boat behind it, I get between 11 and 13 mpg.

Our other car is a Sonata hybrid. We get 35-50 mpg with that. It weighs about half what the expedition does (a little over 3000 lbs) and has about 200 hp combined, compared to the 300 hp and 6000 lb expedition. So it's no dog either (but won't tow anything more than a bike rack). It's got most of the extras like heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc, and is really comfortable and quiet on a trip.

I'd be all for a hybrid drive train truck or suv that could tow my boat. 20 mpg while towing a boat and without the added expense of maintaining a diesel would be a real nice thing.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that's only one trip so it's not indicative of the annual cost of fuel for an Expedition vs something more fuel-efficient. I drive 20K/year. At 15 mpg that's 1,333 gallons, which at $2.35/gal is $3132.55. My wife's sedan (not a hybrid) gets 32 mpg and she drives about the same miles per year, which means she burns through 625 gallons. At $2.35/gal that's $1468.75. That's an extra $1663.80 I'm spending per year on gas alone. Over ten years of ownership that's $16,638. And of course with 4WD there's a lot of added maintenance costs as well over time. Obviously I'm willing to take the hit or else I wouldn't be driving an Expedition, but it's sure as hell costing me a lot more than a penny on the dollar to do so.

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever heard of miles of smiles? Who wants to drive a hybrid and tell people the only exciting thing about it is the mileage? Not me. I bought the Expedition knowing full well I wasn't buying it for the mileage. I am with the original poster on this one. I too would take an hour less driving for $6.00.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"driving like an old man who gave up on his life a long time ago "

That there is some funny sh*T, I don't care who you are!

jeff

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we both ours like its stolen.
seeems to still get 17 plus.
i like the 75 speed limit here, (suggested minimum) . which means 77-85 right up to big D
with sprints of 85 plus

houston....its on like, well donkey kong..80 seems to be the min speed
san antonio...Ditto
all in comfort and five star safety :driver:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up here our max speed limit is 70 but they generally leave you alone if you stay around 75 - 77 you start getting above that and you run a greater risk. I'm at 940 miles so it should be starting to loosen up and I'm hoping to see the highway mileage go up. I'm not too worried about around town but I'd love to see 17 on a road trip.