Alternator Problems!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSTEAT23

Reaction score
Has anyone had alternator problems. I have a 2003 expy my alternator is fried it went bad this past friday. And has cause me all kind of hell. Anyone know anything about replacement, cost, labor and parts. Need to get a price on parts and labor. Any ideas!!!!!

Last edited:

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by RSTEAT23
Has anyone had alternator problems. I have a 2003 expy my alternator is fried it went bad this past friday. And has cause me all kind of hell. Anyone know anything about replacement, cost, labor and parts. Need to get a price on parts and labor. Any ideas!!!!!

You can pick one up from any auto parts store... Usually runs about 100-150 bucks. If you have any kind of auto mechaical experience its pretty straight forward to replace. Take serpentine belt off, take nut off the power cable attached behind the alternator and then remove the 2 bolts holding the alternator in place. Then of course you reinstall by bolting down the 2 bolts first, then connect power cable behind the alternator and tighten down the nut, and last put the serpentine belt back on and you are done.

Can easily be done in about 30-45 min if you have replaced an alternator before. If you havent then it will take you longer but its really pretty easy. Just take your time.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think alternator problems are ussually a common thing. If they go, they go. I find it unpredictable and unpreventable, unless you buying some junk brand or seriously loading it. Anything outside the norm that is.

They go eventually, some longer than others.

andyhaas

Reaction score
I replaced my alternator last weekend, took no more than an hour. The old one had not totally died (11.4v) but for the last year I was having all kinds of running rough problems. The rough running problems are virtually gone with the new alternator.

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get a nice long handle swivel shaft socket wrench, not the ratchet type, get new belt and tensioner

alt_18872129.jpg

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, shouldn't take you more than an hour or so if it's your first time. I can change my sisters V6 alternator in about 15-20 mins :D The Autozone/Advanced ones come with a lifetime warranty, I think :)

slackkeymike

Reaction score
My 2003 Expedition alternator dies 2 years ago. I replaced with one from Advance. Last week, it also died. So, Advance gives me another. After installation, it runs good, for a while, then starts idling badly (up down in speed, check charge light on and off, etc). Ford looks at it and that alternator is bad too!. So I take it back, and get another one from Advance (they ran out, so the got one from Auto Zone for me). After its installed, it too causes check charge light to come on and off, but after a while, it stops doing that. Runs ok. Then this morning, the check charge light blinks for about 5 minutes then stops.

What is going on here?

Anybody ever see this?

Mike