am I tripping, or does fog light use dent MPG??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting a strange suspicion that my LED fogs cost me ~1 - 1.5 mpg

Can that really be?

If true....what about 35w HID headlights, are those a significant drain?

And if a few dozen watts can actually cause visible MPG change, does that make radio a real drain too???

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really?
You would need a bunch of super bright LEDs to cause the alternator to increase the amp output and load the engine more. Probably in the hundreds of them.
Find out the amp draw of the LEDs.

Watts / volts = amps
The 35w Hid will draw just under 3 amps while running with possibly a higher draw to start them.

Largest drain on the electrical system when running are the headlights (halogen), ac clutch and blower motors.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well that's a first, your car is aging, parts are deteriorating and efficiency is reducing... I'd look somewhere else for that mpg drop... somewhere A LOT more obvious!

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I meant I thought I observed a jump UP in MPG by turning off my LED fogs...

I think they draw ~4 amps (50w 12v) each if I'm not mistaken.

I can still pull off ~15mpg mostly city driving with heavy A/C use, that's very reasonable and close to the V8's efficiency ratings as-new afaik

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything on everyone's car that uses power, either mechanical or electrical, puts a dent in the MPG. Headlights, AC blower, USB cellphone charging port, ....everything.

Is it significant? Some will hit it harder than others. Can you figure out the difference? Sure, but, why? My god, you own an Expedition. If the effect of the fog lights on your MPG costs you more than 2 seconds of sleep, I recommend you look into some sort of Japanese product.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My god, you own an Expedition. If the effect of the fog lights on your MPG costs you more than 2 seconds of sleep, I recommend you look into some sort of Japanese product.

Cause I bought it for $4600, not $55k?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The defroster setting, engages the AC compressor. Driving around in that setting(when not needed), will kill gas mileage. You could have a brake caliper dragging. Put it in neutral, on a slight grade. Check if it rolls.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have low gas mileage, it just SEEMS like it gets visibly better results if I turn everything but headlights off

Of course some of that might be other subconscious efforts to learn to drive more efficiently... but, really, how much more is up to the driver once he's in cruise control on open highway, not touching any pedals for miles??

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I don't have low gas mileage, it just SEEMS like it gets visibly better results if I turn everything but headlights off

Of course some of that might be other subconscious efforts to learn to drive more efficiently... but, really, how much more is up to the driver once he's in cruise control on open highway, not touching any pedals for miles??
You gave up your right, to complain about gas mileage, when you purchased a Expedition...period.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You gave up your right, to complain about gas mileage, when you purchased a Expedition...period.

I'm not complaining. I'm working on keeping it closer to 17 than 12 is all.... cause I've seen both numbers.