Another Transmission Issue....sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Lets get this out of the way first....2007 Expedition EL 5.4 6sp 4x4 Limited. 190600 miles.

When I accelerate from a stop something shudders. I'm not certain what it is, but I think its the tranny. It will shudder for a second or two and then quits. Biggest problem is that it is not consistent, it only happens once in a while and I cant duplicate the problem. It has not happened in weeks, but we are planning on towing our 5500 lb TT to the Grand Canyon this summer and don't want to be stranded.

No, I haven't checked the fluid and that looks like a ton of fun to do...why cant it have a dipstick. So it could be low. I also don't think it has been changed in a long time, I bought it with 119000 on it and I don't know if it has been changed.

Anyone had a shutter like this? It almost feels like it is shifting down to first and then it will shift through 6th without issues...next stop light or sign it will be fine.

Thanks in advance.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of folks have reported that a fluid change cleared up their minor trans issues. In fact, there's a thread going on right now that discusses it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At your mileage that tranny fluid is shot and might need to be changed. Not hard to check condition crawl under the passenger side front door and look at the pan, now look up, there is a large plug (hex head) coming out the top. Grab a 19mm box wrench and loosen it and there is a yellow dipstick under it. Wipe the fluid in a paper towel.

OP
OP
C

codfish

Reaction score
I've seen the plug just haven't checked it. Will have to. I'm a little afraid to change it at this time. I've seen more than a few cars get a filter/fluid change and never move again.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you, mine was starting to shift odd at times and I changed the fluid to see improvement. Mine shifts better and is smoother but after the change it clunks on downshifts when slowing down.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know it kills me how the manufacturer says its a lifetime transmission, with no fluid change. But leaving the fluid in more than 100k, then the issues start. Theirs a lot of threads that talk about shuddering. Well you've got a choice, leave it in, deal with shuddering, take a chance do a fluid/filter change, or consider getting rid of vehicle, and moving along with your life/vehicle. Let us know what you do.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love our 2007 EB that we bought as a CPO at 14,000 miles,it now has just over 130,000 miles on it,being an old retired farmer I know how important MAINTENANCE is with equipment,i have the dealers power flush my all my automatic transmissions seeing as there are no longer drain plugs on the torque converters EVERY 30,000 miles regardless of what the company say's,change the engine oil every 5000 miles also,do the same with my 2002 F350 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel that I bought new, in all the years I farmed I also NEVER had an engine failure while on my largest Ford Diesel non turbo tractor, a TW 10 model with a 401 CID in line 6 the book called for 300 hr oil changes, I changed it every 100 hours, some thing my dad taught me as a young man, OILS CHEAPER THAN BARRINGS & LABOR, For the installed cost of a new engine or trans you can buy a hell of a lot of oil and have no down time.