Anybody else think the 18 looks more like a Flex than Explorer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
funny 18 is longer, but looks shorter. the rear door is set into the rear wheel well. which draws your eyes away from the long side vent window.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was thinking that to, it has some strong F150 looks
my 2013 f150 had huge rear doors, almost limousine like.
they also moved the "C" pillar back and this shortened the rear big glass vent window

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah... not flex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it resembles the flex but it does resemble the explorer a little to me. I like the look of the new Expedition, the current one is great and all but it was time to update. The body shape is a bit similar to the suburban but it's entirely different in that it's not a cheaply built GM SUV in and out. I mean seriously it looks like they bought parts from the dollar store for the escalade. I'm just happy they kept it body on frame and retained the control trac real 4x4. I actually like the new expedition a lot more than the new navigator personally. I guess the navi looks more "old-person-ish" than the sporty look of the expy.

Last edited:

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
Yeah, they are carrying the headlight/grill theme from the Flex into everything now. First it was the F150, then the Explorer, and now the Expy. But I think the comparisons stop there. The Flex has such a lower stance and is so boxy it will never be confused with the Expy. I actually came out of a Flex before buying my Expy, so I may be biased. I really liked the Flex (although I should have bought the EcoBoost) and was concerned about moving to a body-on-frame vehicle, but the Expy is certainly a step up (pun intended).

Goodbye old friend....

IMG_0060.JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they are carrying the headlight/grill theme from the Flex into everything now. First it was the F150, then the Explorer, and now the Expy. But I think the comparisons stop there. The Flex has such a lower stance and is so boxy it will never be confused with the Expy. I actually came out of a Flex before buying my Expy, so I may be biased. I really liked the Flex (although I should have bought the EcoBoost) and was concerned about moving to a body-on-frame vehicle, but the Expy is certainly a step up (pun intended).

Goodbye old friend....
My son bought a 2014 AWD Flex. It is two tone Tuxedo Black and Silver. It only had 19,800 Miles on when he bought it in February.
IMG_5159.JPG

Thunderjet

Reaction score
Seeing a photo of the 2018 model is what prompted us to buy the 17.
The 18 looks like someone mated a minnie van with a station wagon.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing a photo of the 2018 model is what prompted us to buy the 17.
The 18 looks like someone mated a minnie van with a station wagon.

Haha this is funny. my dad bought his 16' super duty for this same reason. The new SD is just plain UGLY and straight out of the 80s. Actually the salesman admitted a lot of people were rushing in for 16' model years so they didn't have to get the 17'. It's pretty sad that GM and Ford have made their pickups 80s ugly monstrosities with squared wheel wells and all. I mean come on.

I like the look of the new expy but I get your reasoning.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because of the crossover cues i can kinda see where ppl sort of sees a resemblance btw a flex n a expy. I rather liken it to family resemblance, the current expy looks way more like a flex than the new one does.