Anyone Towing an Airstream with a 3L GTDI EcoBoost Expey?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a 2018 Exepy to tow our 25' Airstream Travel Trailer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated . Thanks

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What's the concern? Unless you want to drive a pickup truck all the time the Expedition seems the only choice. No other SUV offers this towing capacity (9200 pounds).

I have the HD tow package on my '17 (as I did on my '07) and it handles my less-aerodynamic 23' travel trailer with no complaints. WDH of course. No extensive fuel use known on the '17 yet but the '07 was horrible and typically under 10mpg. The EcoBoost wants premium fuel for max towing. No experience with the '18 of course. I elected to get the '17 last month for several reasons including complete familiarity with the truck as it's barely different from my earlier model. Friends have the 10-speed (9 speed?) transmission in their F150 and tow a 28' travel trailer a couple times a month and are pleased. (Has the V8 though.)

HD towing gets you larger radiators, etc. Built-in brake controller and whatever trailer stability does.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's the concern? Unless you want to drive a pickup truck all the time the Expedition seems the only choice. No other SUV offers this towing capacity (9200 pounds).

I have the HD tow package on my '17 (as I did on my '07) and it handles my less-aerodynamic 23' travel trailer with no complaints. WDH of course. No extensive fuel use known on the '17 yet but the '07 was horrible and typically under 10mpg. The EcoBoost wants premium fuel for max towing. No experience with the '18 of course. I elected to get the '17 last month for several reasons including complete familiarity with the truck as it's barely different from my earlier model. Friends have the 10-speed (9 speed?) transmission in their F150 and tow a 28' travel trailer a couple times a month and are pleased. (Has the V8 though.)

HD towing gets you larger radiators, etc. Built-in brake controller and whatever trailer stability does.

-- Chuck
What he said!

FYI it is a 3.5, not 3.0L TT. Also, not sure it is GTDI. GTDI stands for Gas Turbo Direct Injection. The 2018 Expy has the 2nd Gen 3.5 Twin Turbo, and it has both Port and Direct Injection, so not sure if there is a different designation for it?

I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you stay under the 9200/9100(Regular/Max) Capacity.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the good news on the towing ability of the Expey.

We plan to use it as both our towing vehicle and as our everyday.

Thanks for you constructive comments.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good news on the towing ability of the Expey.

We plan to use it as both our towing vehicle and as our everyday.

Thanks for you constructive comments.
I use my 17 for my everyday driver and our highway cruiser. I don't do much towing these days, but I do have the HD tow package and I think that helps with engine/drive train longevity because of the extra cooling capability. The 17 is very comfortable to drive and I'm sure the 18s will be great too.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll second what the others have said here. I tow a 30' Apex Ultra Light at about 7800 lbs fully stocked. Get a good WDH and you will be fine. The TT engine gets the trailer up and moving a bit better than the 2012 F150 V8 we used to use. Based on the butt dyno of course. Going with the better LT types of tires will help as well. With the P rated tires it's a bit squirmy in crosswinds. Have fun!

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 6000lb boat and my 2016 Expy tows it easily. You will be fine towing a 25 ft airstream, which likely weighs about 5400lb empty. Your total towed load will be somewhere around 6000lbs.
brick

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine is a 16, 373 rear gears and hd towing package. the trailer weighs 1800 empty, cross ties 250 each 16 of them on deck so around 6400-6500 lbs, trailer is rated at 10,200 so i was far from full.
never knew it was back there.
your pulling a large bulb through the air, you will know its there.
i wouldn't have any issue pulling a 25 foot alum trailer. tons of tq and you can lock out higher gears.
i am sure the 18 with the ten speed and higher hp and tq gen 2 ecoboost, you will not have any issue, get the towing package and be set.
i am sure the ten speed in tow haul will allow select shift to lock out higher gears if you need to

the guy in front of me had a tandem axle trailer rated at 7500lbs...he overloaded and his tires played lets ride the edge from bending the axle...he had iirc 28
cross ties.jpg

cross ties 1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes