Anyone Towing an Airstream with a 3L GTDI EcoBoost Expey?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I notice your roof rack bars are in the rear. Do you experience the "drumming" sound at 30-50mph? I did, even with the windows up. I moved the bars forward, and kept them separated more. No more "drumming". I mentioned that to the dealer and they said there was a TSB out about that. I haven't bothered to look it up, yet.

They act like poorly designed wings, and the buffeting impacts the roof...like a drum.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine were like that when I took delivery. I never noticed any drumming but I did spread them out because of I noticed that the carwash didn't clean the roof with them close together, so I spread them apart when I waxed the roof. :)

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would hate to have to unload those! :)
rope and a tree, pulleed em off, we cut them in half lengthwise and use for landscape timbers around the drip line of house

never noticed drumming at high speeds?? been that way since after first wash when like Andy i discovered being to close didnt let the big spinning thing clean the roof
i have a long high speed trip tomorrow, i will go move them and see.
i get drumming at 25 -30 on not so smooth roads with washboard ridges, i think its the running boards.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The drumming abates as I approach 50mph, but cruising at lower speeds the sound was quite pronounced.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The drumming abates as I approach 50mph, but cruising at lower speeds the sound was quite pronounced.

i am going to move one fwd a few feet, to see if 77 makes any noise.
like i said , now they are at the optimal car wash distance apart. :)

the guts of the cross ties....

cross ties 4.jpg

Last edited:

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
worm drive 7.5 saw, then air chisel and a sawz all. then drive a 4" wedge and POP they split like a melon. even make noise

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I notice your roof rack bars are in the rear. Do you experience the "drumming" sound at 30-50mph? I did, even with the windows up. I moved the bars forward, and kept them separated more. No more "drumming". I mentioned that to the dealer and they said there was a TSB out about that. I haven't bothered to look it up, yet.

They act like poorly designed wings, and the buffeting impacts the roof...like a drum.

I never considered this. Thanks!