Are headers worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopsieze

Reaction score
I'm doing a motor swap, it's a 4.6 2wd and after suggestions and reading, one of the things I want to do is replace the manifold bolts with stainless. I would also consider headers, even cat back exhaust if I can afford it.

Truck will be mostly just for moving the family from a to b but would be nice to pull a trailer occasionally. Not sure how much low end I lose with long tube. I'm actually having trouble even locating short or long that fit the truck.

Eventually I'll get a programmer and figure out other economical mods but for now I want to get the motor in the truck and now is the time to do the manifold/headers.

Any advice and shared experience would be helpful. Thanks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not worth it unless you're doing a SC mod...everyone that has done it in my time here said it offered minimum performance

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Not worth it unless you're doing a SC mod...everyone that has done it in my time here said it offered minimum performance

Mr. 10K

Thanks, I was starting to assume that. While I would love to get a little more out of the motor I can be happy I wouldn't be spending the money I suppose.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really depends on how far your gonna go. Bang for the buck, exhaust and headers is the best hp per dollar no matter the vehicle

Dmpsix

Reaction score
After a bit of research, I doubt anyone has had a true successful conversion for LT Headers on the 2nd gen expedition.

Shorty headers yeah, but shorty headers are basically a manifold, almost zero performance there.

Someone reported that a RWD f150's LT headers may fit the 2nd gen, no idea if this has been attempted though.