Are these struts busted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a look at these two pics and tell me if you think these front struts are bad. This is the driver's side but they both look like this. If they are in fact bad, is that something that I could get changed under warranty? I also have an extended warranty that I bought thru the dealership...car currently has 34k miles on it. I'm thinking this may be the cause of the hard ride we've been experiencing.
95b53334bfa31997ddffddad9accf61f.jpg
ca37ab2cebce4e7f33e0504f09421625.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From those pics I would say they are shot. Take it in to the dealer and see what they say. Then you will know if they are a reputable establishment.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at these two pics and tell me if you think these front struts are bad. This is the driver's side but they both look like this. If they are in fact bad, is that something that I could get changed under warranty? I also have an extended warranty that I bought thru the dealership...car currently has 34k miles on it. I'm thinking this may be the cause of the hard ride we've been experiencing.

What year is your truck the standard warranty is 36,000 miles so they should be covered. Particularly with your extended warranty.

OP
OP
S

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 2015. I'll call them Monday and see what they say.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 2015. I'll call them Monday and see what they say.

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4 (used for passenger use only). At about 6,000 miles - the RF shock / strut began leaking and was replaced under the new-car warranty. It took about 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive after being ordered by the dealer.

Classic poor quality.

OP
OP
S

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped it off at the dealer this morning, just got a call they are replacing both struts under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has been talked about extensively before. Ford OEM struts are garbage. I went thru (2) sets of 4 in 15k miles. First set was under warranty, second set was not. Would not have made any difference anyway. I was not going to put a third set of that crap on. I have been very happy with my Bilstein's. You will be replacing those warranty units soon.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been talked about extensively before. Ford OEM struts are garbage. I went thru (2) sets of 4 in 15k miles. First set was under warranty, second set was not. Would not have made any difference anyway. I was not going to put a third set of that crap on. I have been very happy with my Bilstein's. You will be replacing those warranty units soon.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of driving are you doing, local and highways, back roads, or off roading?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni