Auto 4 wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddgts68

Reaction score
Just a quick question, does the 4x4 light come on when the auto 4 wd kicks in? Have not been able to find info. Thanks

Plati

Reaction score
Dont think so, but it depends on what you mean. Question like that it usually helps to put year of your vehicle in the question because the year matters. In my 2003 XLT I think there's an cutout image with a bulb behind it. In my 2014 EL, when you put it in 4A you see 4x4 AUTO in the message display area and it stays there the whole time. Switch to 2H and you'll see 4X2 for a bit then that goes away. I think when you switch it from one to another, it tells you that its switching from one to the other until its all set.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
sorry it's a 99 xlt 5.4l, 4wd,. I have A4wd, 4h, 4l on switch. Front drive shaft is not in, been fighting a vibration/shudder and when driving the other night felt a clunk, like transfer case type of clunk. wasn't sure if some how it was in 4 wd while in auto mode. no codes