Aux Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'After Market Add-Ons' started by kwyorman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. kwyorman

kwyorman Member

Has anyone here added an extra fuel tank in the spare tire area? I'm thinking about moving the spare up to a mount on the rear bumper (if I can find one) and putting a spare fuel tank in its place. Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to find anyone who carries aftermarket fuel tanks that can be bolted up underneath the truck. Do the pickups have secondary tanks anymore? I haven't paid attention. I have a '97 Eddie Bauer. looks like there is plenty of room in there. It would be nice to double the range on this beast. Maybe I'll just fill the spare tire full of gas. And while I'm here, anyone have any ideas on the bumper mounted spare? Curt makes a front mounted hitch you can put a spare on, but I plan on putting a Bull Bar and winch up there soon. (don't anybody tell my wife please) I guess I'll just hang out over here in the corner now until someone notices me.

2. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

My guess is that finding a direct bolt in application will be tough, if not impossible. You'll have to find a tank that fits, have brackets made and figure out the wiring and plumbing yourself. Racecars use fuel cells all the time, so this part of the process isn't impossible. Check summitracing.com and places like that.

To make those brackets for the fuel cell, you might employ a welder. They might also be able to help you with the spare tire carrier.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  3. Thunderjet

Thunderjet Member

Always good to have extra fuel. Does any company make a larger replacement tank?

4. SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz Full Access Members

I've been entertaining this idea, and I'm thinking a stock rear tank or of a 80-90's F-series/bronco might fit the bill. The frames seem to be damn similar in width.

Be easy enough to cannibalize a fuel selection system out of one of them. Then run the fill up to the stock cap. Have to fab up a mount for two fill nozzles, but at that point I feel it'd be the least of any issues.

5. USMCBuckWild

USMCBuckWild Full Access Members

This looks interesting......

I’m in

6. ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine has a 33 gallon tank I wouldn't mind having a 50 gallon tank but I would hate filling it up when empty.