Aux Input to a Stock 2006 Expy Nav Unit w/o DVD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I said I was going to do it - and I did here are some photos and a how to.

So the basics are I wanted an AUX input for MP3 and DVD (netbook computer that sits on the middle console/armrest) so I decided I would find a way.

The basics are this - if you have rear seat audio control with either DVD or CD changer this should work - I have the CD changer and NAV so wiring might be different depending on model.

This is what I did...

I got a 4 pole double throw switch - which means basically that the 4 wires from the changer - Right +, Right -, Left + and Left - hooks up to the common 4 poles and then the AUX hooks to the one side of the ON/ON switch (R+, R-, L+, L-) and the CD changer hooks up to the other side.

So here are photos....

PICT0131.jpg
This is the start - remove the rubber bottom in the compartment infront of the cup holders - there is a 7mm bolt under it - remove it and gently remove the console piece, don't forget to unplug for the lighter/12V outlet

After that is removed - take out the 2 7mm bolts that hold down the cover to the CD changer under the bottom cover to the console
PICT0135.jpg

Next up remove that cover

PICT0136.jpg

Then I took our the CD Changer - another 2 phillips screws at the top

PICT0138-1.jpg

This is what you got now

PICT0132-1.jpg

The CD Changer plug

PICT0141-1.jpg

This is where I went to my wiring diagram to figure out exactly what each wire was... I can help for my 2006 with NAV but nothing else... so look up the diagrams specific for you year model it should work exactly the same. Your local library probably has access to wiring diagrams, or ask the board - lots of us have them too - I got 2006 years.... let me know

Testing the wires - sowing pins work great with aligator clips and a meter

PICT0145.jpg

OP
OP
T

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Continued

Then the fun - the switch - count em - thats 12 required solder connections

PICT0144.jpg

So this basically I am going to wire the middle 4 poles to the stock stereo CD inputs wires - so the wires that the CD changer would have normally returned to the Nav Unit - the 1 side to the CD changer and the other to the AUX input 1/8" stereo (3.5mm) jack.

PICT0159.jpg

PICT0160.jpg

Mounting the switch

PICT0154.jpg

Mounting the Jack

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums... Expedition Stereo Modifications/PICT0153.jpg
PICT0156.jpg
You can remove the cup holders by taking out 4 phillips screws for better access
PICT0157.jpg

Simple Right - just ensure you have some decent soildering skills and tools

All completed with a shot of the console open the switch and 1/8" jack visible

PICT0162.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This works PERFECT FYI - no static or anything the reason to use a 4 Pole Double Throw is to eleminate the possibility of a ground loop feed back. So all I have to say is this was a great project for $15 bucks and now I can plug in to the stock OEM stereo my MP3 player and my Netbook for DVD's and movie's - Yippee! This is awesome!

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's awesome, looks real nice. I hope I can do something like that on my 2003 EB model. I don't have a changer, but hopefully there's a hookup that I can plug into the wiring. If not, then SOL I guess.

I'm sure some people are wondering why you didn't just use a wireless FM transmitter, they're only like $15-20. In my opinion I'd much rather use a plug in hard wired connection for several reasons. 1) FM transmitters/receivers do not transmit the typical full wide frequency range that you get when listening to a cd or MP3, 2) When traveling quite often you have to change FM frequencies due to interference from strong radio stations, 3) FM transmitters are just one more thing to buy batteries for or deal with keeping charged up.

OP
OP
T

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got an FM transmitter however the sound quality sucks, this is much better - actually perfect - The one thing I know about trying to hook into the stock unit is because these things all talk over the data lines that if you do not intercept a signal even if you have a plug on the radio there is nothing to tell the radio that a changer/DVD is there so it will not recognize the input signal - so unless you can figure out exactly what that signal is then you are screwed!

OP
OP
T

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after using this a week rather than the FM modulator - this is the best $25 bucks or less I have ever spent (total for me with wire, switch, output jacks was actually $16.78) - sound quality is top notch, much better than the FM, and it's rather easy - anyone with a changer and no Aux input should consider doing it, my sons are going to love being able to watch the netbook videos with sound over the trucks stereo, and of course the look of 100% stock crappy stereos, nobody is going to break into steal it. Cheers!

Indy

Reaction score
I've got an 06 with NAV, I would love to know the pin out of the cd changer connector to be able to implement this myself. Currently I am using the audio inputs on my rear DVD but apparently the audio input level is different because volume levels isn't correct. Hoping this would be a better match on the input level.

catmandu

Reaction score
Resurrecting, I know, but gotta say thanks to TheValleyBoy, as this became the answer when I googled 'Expedition aux input'! Just finished and road tested my setup, it's nice when a soldering job works the first time! My improvement to the process, only because I had some lettering sitting in the office supplies:

expyipod.jpg

I would say that makes it idiot proof, but I know better. :drool:

Oh, and the economy must be improving, only cost me $14.06 for parts, including shipping!

Last edited:

catmandu

Reaction score
Indy, if you are still monitoring this thread, here ya' go:

expy2006.jpg

Last edited:

Indy

Reaction score
Indy, if you are still monitoring this thread, here ya' go:

expy2006.jpg

Awesome man, thanks. I've been using the AUX inputs on the rear DVD player, but like this method better and was to lazy and have never had the time to try and figure out the wiring myself.

Last edited: