AWD actuators making noise 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weird. I bet yours is over on the passenger side, then. So strange, because the 4x4 system was supposedly unchanged through all of the 3rd-gen, even since 2004. I guess moving the solenoid doesn't count.

If that's the case I'd bet actual dollars that you have the exact problem that is going on in the video I linked. The solenoid gets wet easily since it's near the windshield drip area and the water gets in the vacuum lines and makes its way into the IWE and destroys them. Give the video a watch and see if you can find it.

OP
OP
W

William_ff

Reaction score
Ok I traced it and found it to the left of the fan shroud. This must be because the location on the firewall has the parts for the special service vehicle lights and such. Maybe it isn't on the driver's side because of the brake booster or whatever is there that isn't in your pic. Maybe the brake system is better on this vehicle. I'll do the bypass and let you know the results.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IT'S AN SSV?! Yeah those are their own mythical beasts.

Awesome though, looking forward to hearing what you find.

OP
OP
W

William_ff

Reaction score
I unhooked it and there is still the noise. I bypassed it for full vacuum and the noise goes away. So in terms of the suction it fixes it. I wonder if the noise is full engagement but the teeth are already bad at this point. So I am going to replace the solenoid to see if it works fine in 2H and test further and then look at the actuators.

Thanks for the help!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd bet it's the solenoid. Real easy to check if they're locked, lift up one wheel and spin it and see if the CV half-shaft spins too. Since the problem was still there when you disconnected the vacuum lines, it seems everything else is in fine, the solenoid is probably stuck half-open so it only ever gets partial vacuum pressure.

The teeth on the IWE are designed and built softer than the teeth on the axle so they wear faster because that part is easier to replace and cheaper than a CV axle, so even if they are busted, it's not too bad.

OP
OP
W

William_ff

Reaction score
Has been driving great in 2H now. Any thoughts on the Motorcraft vs aftermarket part for the actuator?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has been driving great in 2H now. Any thoughts on the Motorcraft vs aftermarket part for the actuator?
I have been putting Motorcraft everything in my truck but I don’t think it would hurt here to use an off brand. Usually the price difference isn’t huge.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the past 1.2 years I have been having the AWE sound, but only when it's cold out. Is it possible the solenoid is sticking in sub 50 temps? The hubs vacuum with a manual pump and guage , so I figured my first winter was a fluke. But it's happening again now. Turn it to 4A and the sound is gone. Turn it to 2w and the noise starts after a period of time, usually when I coast. From what I understand, WOT is when the stored vacuum is required, but, this is the opposite of that. Engine has 102k ( probably much less with th on it, maybe it's too old now and I should put her out to pasture. But I spent a bunch on her in purchase and shipping from kansas ( ebay)

Bought it with 95k, love her, she keeps my kids safe.

I just don't know if I made a mistake. I change the Oil too early (4k) , and there is now a bubble paint point at the licence plate chrome contact points.

I called a car donation group, and they offered tax papers and purchase cash a 17th of the purchase price.

It also has rust on the roof.

20171204_214240.jpg

Last edited: