Back Up Parking Aid Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I keep getting the message to " Check Backup aid" when I put the transmission in reverse. I took it to my ford dealer and their computer got an error code C1983. They said I needed a new Parking Aid Module for $ 450.00. I said to forget it. I went to a salvage yard and tried 2 Parking Aid Modules. The numbers all matched with the original. It made no difference. The chances of 2 modules being bad is slim.

The Back Up Aid works fine when the temperature is 40 degrees or below. Above 40 degrees inside the vehicle, it then gives the same message "Check Backup Aid". Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?
Bob

B

bedrck46

That code means RADAR SENSOR MALFUNCTION depending on if you have a early or late production Expedition you will have either 3 or 4 sensors in the rear. Only the early production had the 3 sensors and the one in the middle is the radar sensor Maybe you can return to the salvage yard and remove the radar sensor and try that.

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That code means RADAR SENSOR MALFUNCTION depending on if you have a early or late production Expedition you will have either 3 or 4 sensors in the rear. Only the early production had the 3 sensors and the one in the middle is the radar sensor Maybe you can return to the salvage yard and remove the radar sensor and try that.

Thanks bedrck46. I'll give it a try.
Bob

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will try a radar unit from the salvage yard as soon as the temperature gets above 45 degrees. Below that temperature, the backup aid works fine. Very weird.
More to come!
Bob

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The radar is located in the center of the bumper. If you look behind the trailer hitch directly back of the receiver, you should see the wire that goes to the unit. To get to the radar unit, you have to remove the bumper. Try to get the fault code from a body chasse scanner. The OBDII will not give you a chasse code. The code for the radar was C1983. There is also a backup aid module on driver side rear panel under the plastic tray. That is why the correct code is important.

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to resolve this? Just like Gulfman, I also went to the salvage yard and pulled two PAM's (same part number: 2L1T-15T850-AJ), which made no difference. However, because I live in Florida, it doesn't get below 40 degrees very often, so I don't know if my system would work in the cold.

Mechanic friend of mine pulled a C1983 DTC from the system before I tried swapping the PAM's. And while C1983 does mean "Radar Sensor Malfunction", TSB 06-25-13 suggests replacing the PAM with a new one (P/N: 4L7Z-15K866-AB).

Wires all seemed to be connected properly, so I'm wondering if it's either the ultrasonic sensors (the two outboard sensors) or the radar sensor (center sensor above the hitch).

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Temperature should not have anything to do with it. Mine was the radar unit Code(C1983) located in the center above the hitch. You can see the wiring from the back but it must be removed from the front. The removal procedure for the bumper plastic should be on Google or You Tube.

Reaction score
I went to the salvage yard today and pulled two radar sensors. Unfortunately, they didn't fix my problem. One of them was effectively useless (no change from original unit), and the other was slightly less useless, as I could occasionally get the parking aid system to operate long enough to hear the clicking from each sensor (but not long enough to hear them at the same time...). However, after I finished installing the bumper cover (I was doing a "dry-fit" during testing), my status went back to the same, where I could never get the parking aid system to operate - it would go straight to "Check Backup Aid".

I left the slightly less useless one installed...