Bad transfer case? Or electrical?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shak1996

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new member here, but have found lots of useful info on here in the past. I'm kind of stumped now and am looking for some help. I have a 2003 expedition Eddie Bauer. I was driving at highway speed in cruise control the other day. I tapped the brake pedal to shut off cruise and pass a car. When I hit the accelerator, the speedometer and tachometer both went way up, but I did not accelerate. It was like i was in neutral, and revving the engine, but the speedo went up as well. I coasted off the side of the road and came to a stop, while leaving the car in drive. I pushed the gas a little and it went forward, so I pulled back out onto the highway. It did in fact accelerate, but the speedo went up much faster than the speed I was actually going. I let off the gas and the tach and speedo went through the roof again, with no acceleration. I pulled off the side of the road again, this time I put it in park. I got out, checked the tranny fluid, it was good. Checked for leaks, found none. Grabbed the driveshaft, could not spin it. Put it in drive again and limped down the berm to the next exit ramp. Of course, when I let off the gas again approaching the stop sign at the end of the ramp, everything happened again. I coasted it backward and off the side of the road. This time when I put it in park and let my foot off the brake, it started to coast backwards. I called a tow truck, and he agreed to meet me at a parking lot about half mile from where I was at, to avoid having to get on and off the highway. I put the car in 4 wheel hi and drove to the lot. While I waited for the tow truck, I drove around the lot to see if maybe I could figure out a problem. It shifted fine through 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo. In any gear it would accelerate slowly, and the speedo would read much higher than it should. I heard no clunking or banging or grinding. After it got towed home, I messed around a little more in the driveway. These are the things I've noticed so far, and can't figure out. When I try to drive it, it drives like it's in 4lo, with the whine and jerkiness, but it is in fact in 2 wheel drive. I proved that in the yard. I can shift to 4hi and 4lo, and the transfer case does what it should, but acts like it's in 4lo. When shifting to reverse or drive from park, it lunges and almost drives through the brakes like the idle is high, but the tach reads as it should. Twice when I've put it in park it has drifted like it was in neutral, but that's not consistent as I've put it in park many times trying to diagnose the problem. There is no CEL on, and when hooked up to a scanner, no codes or pending codes are present. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, and before I start taking stabs in the dark and start spending money on a transmission, or transfer case, id like to see if anyone out there has had these problems before. Sorry it's such a long post, but I tried to give as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll probably get more help if you break that "wall of text" into some simple points that people have time to read quickly and comment upon. I know I don't have the time or inclination to decipher all that.

Also, breaking it into small, straightforward points may help you have a "eureka" moment or understand the root cause of the issue you are having and figure out what's happening.

HTH

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The more information that a member provides will help to avoid asking the OP for information that wasn't provided

Most times on this forum members give to little information which often results in bad info being provided to the OP.

In this case the OP stated he checked fluid I would venture to guess that if he didn't state that in his post that there would be a few members asking that very question.

Yes his post is very lengthy but he does provide all the details

OP
OP
S

Shak1996

Reaction score
Thanks, I can understand if someone wanted to read a book they would go to the library. I just wanted to leave all the info on the table, paint a pretty picture. I'm new to this forum stuff, and I'm looking to learn as much as I can. Forgive if I don't know proper etiquette.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't worry about it Shak. You'll find theirs always a member or two, that has something negative to say. Welcome to our little forum. At what level are you able to diagnose automotive problems? And can you read a wiring schematic? Our members are very good at helping with diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shak1996

Reaction score
You know moose, for the most part I'm just a do it yourselfer trying to save as much as I can. Garages and shops break the bank just trying to diagnose the problem. I can read wiring schematics, but as far as diagnosing problems, I probably just get lucky some of the time. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I am stumped. Thanks for welcoming me.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, keep an open mind, and listen to what they ask you, and hopefully we'll keep your baby out of the auto hospital!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk