Basics to increase performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbitzer

Reaction score
For those who haven’t read my introduction I have a 2000 Expedition XLT with 85,000 miles. and to my knowledge (bought it used) everything on the vehicle is stock. I purchased the vehicle used so I don't know if the performance was ever that great or if this is how it has been all along.

I have been experiencing some very poor performance in transmission shifting and low MPG. I really have to step on the gas to get the vehicle moving. While I know these vehicles aren’t much for economy I have been averaging around 10-11 MPG

After reading through several posts with folds reporting the same conditions I am going to start off with some basics by doing the following:

Step 1
Replace/Clean the PCV Valve
Clean the MAF

Step 2
Replace fuel filter
Run Sea Foam through the system (more on this later)

Step 3
Oil change (switch to synthetic)

Step 4
Replace the spark plugs

Being a computer tech I know the basic rule that you never replace a bunch of parts all at the same time because if things go wrong you can pinpoint the problem easily. I am going to do the work in 4 steps (listed above).

Are there other basic things a novice like me could do to increase output and MPG (Tuning will come later)?

When dealing with Sea Foam, one of the suggestions is to run some through the brake booster. Where exactly is this on my vehicle? Is this necessary or would ½ in the tank and ½ in the oil crankcase be sufficient?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The brake booster line is on a ********* frisbee looking thing that rests up against the driver side firewall. There will be a rubber line going into a 90 that goes into the front of it. Use a screw driver and pry it off as to not brake that thing because when I did it the thing seemed pretty flimsy.

BTW when you do it be prepared to shut it down yourself because I've done it twice never able to stall the baby. Guess thats good on Ford lol.

1/2 is ballpark. If you wana put more it won't make much difference. I put a little more as these are fairly large engines.

Also I did half in the engine, half in the crank, then another full can in the tank. I wouldn't expect major brake throughs without putting it in the engine. You can even see the difference if you do it twice a day or two apart. Won't smoke nearly as much. Theres a guide here somewhere. Basically dump half a can into the booster line, regulating flow with your hand to not let it stall, then let it stall after half to 2/3 can (i couldn't). Pour rest in the crank, pour a full can in the tank. Let it sit for 15 minutes since shutting it down/stalling. Then start her up and boot it around town. BTW the engine must be hot before starting the sequence.

I'd be warry of cleaning the MAF. Some people have had opposite results.

Which reminds me I gota do my fuel filter, crap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jbitzer

Reaction score
First and foremost, thanks to everyone who replied to my questions and guided me through the process. The info was very helpful.

Here is a follow-up to what was done and my results.

First I took out my Air filter (I forgot to mention I have a K&N filter) and thoroughly sprayed the MAF with the CSC Electronic cleaner (and it was a brownish color when I started). After it had returned to its shiny original color I reinstalled it. I was going to replace the PCV as well but for some reason the one I got that was supposed to fit my model was not the right one so I ended up cleaning the PCV instead.

There was a noticeable difference already!

Next I moved on to the Sea Foam treatment. I put 1/2 the can in the crankcase and 1/2 in the vacuum line. When I started there was not too much smoke which puzzled me. Then I took it out for a drive.

This is where the smoke began! It looked like I was fogging the neighborhood for mosquitoes. After a few mins the smoke disappeared and everything seemed normal. After returning home I put the other can in the tank and am going to let it run through the fuel system.

I will be doing an oil change next as I don't want to run around too long with the sea foam and the gunk that may be added to my oil.

As a positive side effect it may increase my MPG but I won't know until a few fullips as I don't have an MPG display - only temp and compass direction.

Thanks again for all the help!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, when running an oiled filter, small amounts of oil may end up on the MAF, thus coating it. Cleaning the MAF of this oil (and other little particles of dirt) may help it measure better, thus giving you a bit better MPG/power.