Battery Draining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Good morning. I hope that someone can provide some insight. My 2006 Expedition Limited seems to want to drain the battery down after about 14 days of sitting in the driveway without being driven. Would the standard Ford alarm system run the battery down after this relatively short amount of time, or does it sound more like I've got a battery that is due for replacement?
Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Visit the Electrical section of the forum - about your battery going dead and how to find the cause.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First check your battery. If not sealed type check the specific gravity in each cell. If low put it on a non automatic charge for several days and see if they come back. If not get a new one. As you know the engine alternator will not charge a weak or dead battery. I get plenty of batteries that customers say are shot and they want new ones....I have some of theirs running in our equipment for years.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You can rig a homemade test light, with a small 12v bulb. Disconnect the negative cable. Connect the bulb, between the negative terminal and battery cable. If it lights, something is on and draining battery. Pull fuses one at a time until light goes out. My CD changer was stuck and trying to eject a CD. It killed my battery. All modern vehicles have a small drain. 14 days of non use, with a older battery, this normal. You have options: Drive it more, disconnect battery or buy a quick disconnect switch or use a battery maintainer.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery maintainer has my vote. I have them permanently in my trucks.