believe torque converter shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddgts68

Reaction score
Newbie , little info 99 xlt, 4wd, 5.4l. when tranny goes in overdrive about 45 mph truck vibrates like driving on washboard road. od off makes it go away. However it doesn't disengage when brake applied.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually when tapping the brake doesn't stop shuddering, its usually internal. You might try flushing fluid, normally not recommended, especially if you have high mileage on tranny. Is fluid burnt, or is their other problems besides shudder? Later models have the shudder issue, not so much with 4 r100/ 4r70. If it was me I'd try a full drain, including torque convertor. If the fluid's burnt, I'd leave it be, and contemplate a new trans.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
doesn't smell burnt. plan on drain and filter Saturday. When I tapped brake rpm's didn't change like it didn't unlock? has 170,000 plus miles. only other issues have fuel smell near fuel tank, and no cats. Thanks

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well give it a shot! Be sure to drain torque convertor well. Do you know if it has mercon v synthetic, or regular mercon? They don't play well together. If not 100 percent sure, you might want to drain, refill, then drain again. Luckily yours like mine has drain plugs. Dealers and most shops use mercon v exclusively. Your other option is to have it flushed, then you'll know. Check your owners book as to which fluid, if you do yourself. Let us know how it turns out. Moose

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
doesn't smell burnt. plan on drain and filter Saturday. When I tapped brake rpm's didn't change like it didn't unlock? has 170,000 plus miles. only other issues have fuel smell near fuel tank, and no cats. Thanks

the fuel smell is coming from some kind of evap purge canister or something like that
its not working properly because there is a burnt ground. the engine looks like it melts it. the ground wire is a bit odd, im not sure if its a ground wire, but thats what it looks like. i have never bothered to fix it, because i really dont care where my gas vents lol.
funny thing is, there is an old thread, with some guy who is fiddling with this issue, and he is doing hardcore elecronic engineering and diagnosis on his expedition, and other people are joining the thread like scientists or something, nobody sees the melted wire. lol

you also need to suppliment the O2 sensor signal from the missing cats,
can you post a video of your truck doing a cold start (over 8rs rest) and just warming up/idling for several minutes?

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
I could see a trail from the inlet of the fuel tank down to skid plate, tightened the fuel filler hose still smell it. going to replace hose see if that helps. Was going to put a cat in heard / read somewhere only need one between o2 sensors. Drove truck this am vibration feels more behind me and driver side. Going to take my f150 out see if torque converter unlocks when tapping brake, as this is not happening now

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
shouldn't I see a rpm increase when I tap the brake and the converter unlocks?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever drain/ flush transmission? I'm reading all kinds of other stuff that has nothing to do with drive line shuddering. Any driveability issues like a miss, or exaust restriction will affect up shifting, but you'd notice lower gears affected, not just overdrive. Fix all your little issues of course, but try dumping that fluid/ filter. Your only talking $60.00 parts, your labor is free time.If then it still does the rumble in the jungle, you'll know it's internal. Hopefully not. Post your results after the drain.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
I have not, will be able to do it tomorrow evening. Other than no cats no other issues.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
so I finally got to draining fluid and changing filter. 13 quarts came out 15 went in, drove last night it had a vibration/ shudder for about 2 seconds, seems to have gone away! I'll find out more when I get home from work and wife has driven all day. Could the 2 quarts short have caused the original problem? I checked the fluid first could have sworn it was in safe range. Also driving last night I believe the torque converter is not locking up. Any ideas? I'll check fuses and such when I get home tonight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360