Better bulbs for Anzo Projectors - 35w HIDs? Or LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if I'm reading this correctly, you can buy the Anzo lights, but you also have to buy the retrofit kit for a satisfactory level of brightness? That would be these:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/a...pedition&preselect=47385&preselect_restrict=1

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2014-Ford-Expedition-Anzo-LED-Projector-Headlights-Clear-W-CCFL-Halo-Black-/292036805301?fits=Year:2014|Model:Expedition&hash=item43fec002b5:g:FFQAAOSwSlBYr09U&vxp=mtr

Sorry, I'm new to the whole headlight change process, but I really like the look of the Anzo headlights.

No.

Anzo for cheap projectors
Then new bulbs for the anzo cuz the included ones suck

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To check your cutoff you need to be 25'+ away from the garage door. To some it looks as though the alignment is off but if you notice the center of the cutoff is flat like it should be then the side dip and bow. See that high left side? That's from a low quality halogen projector with an hid bulb installed. Your blinding people!

Actually thats the LED fogs.

And its on a hill with a reflective item straight in front of truck

Anyway i can stand in front of the vehicle and have a cigarette with no eye discomfort

The pic was just added to show that there IS a cutoff line, compare and contrast to what @Habbibie posted for HID in reflectors --- blobof intense light in center there, vs. Line cutoff here.

BTW my camera sucks, very light and dark sensitive...inRL, standing in front of the HIDs im not just not blinded, i can clearly see the CCFL angel eye rings and led accents around the HID projector. No squinting or discomfort

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Actually thats the LED fogs.

And its on a hill with a reflective item straight in front of truck

Anyway i can stand in front of the vehicle and have a cigarette with no eye discomfort

The pic was just added to show that there IS a cutoff line, compare and contrast to what @Habbibie posted for HID in reflectors --- blobof intense light in center there, vs. Line cutoff here.

BTW my camera sucks, very light and dark sensitive...inRL, standing in front of the HIDs im not just not blinded, i can clearly see the CCFL angel eye rings and led accents around the HID projector. No squinting or discomfort

I'm not taking about the fogs. Im talking the step dead center of the headlight beam is flat and the beam bows with the width. See all that light above your cut off? When aproaching another vehicle their eye don't have time to adjust to the extra light your throwing above the cutoff but you standing in front of the vehicle would allow time for your eyes to adjust

Something reflective is helpful but a garage door is plenty reflective for the job. As far as on a hill goes you can't set your height on a hill because you have no accurate way to measure the required 2-2.5" drop from the center of the projector.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That on the left is a reflection of my foglights

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
andy
you dont have HIDs from the factory? i thought all except the xlt had them
your lenses in the picture look like mine from a distance
interesting

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
andy
you dont have HIDs from the factory? i thought all except the xlt had them
your lenses in the picture look like mine from a distance
interesting
Standard halogens. But my HIDs came today and if I get a day above freezing I'll put them it and play with the aiming.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed my 55w HIDs in the factory halogen projectors and the light is perfect. I highly recommend that for anybody with factory projector lights.

This is about 25' away from the side of a building. I was trying to find a building that didn't have a reflective surface. I am pleased with the beam pattern and with the cutoff.
IMG_1920.JPG.jpeg

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to investigate this conversion. What specifically did you purchase and from where? Any help you can give would be most appreciated. I am pretty mechanically-minded, but don't have much experience with this headlight conversion. Thanks!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to investigate this conversion. What specifically did you purchase and from where? Any help you can give would be most appreciated. I am pretty mechanically-minded, but don't have much experience with this headlight conversion. Thanks!
For your Expedition, all you have to do is buy the Xenon (HID) bulb kit and install it in your projectors. The difference is between night and day.

Two 10mm screws hold each headlight assembly in place along with a couple of spring clips that fit into holes in the radiator support. you just unscrew the two screws and wiggle the assembly out. You disconnect two plugs and the whole thing comes out. In this picture you can see one of the lower pins the other one is a spring clip.

The large opening is for the low beam bulb the smaller one is for the high beam. I had to cut a 1" diameter hole in the low beam rubber dust cover to accept the rubber grommet for the wiring harness that comes with the kit. I cut out that grey-ish rectangle with my dremel to make room for some other connectors that had to pass into the the housing and then I sealed the opening with high quality electrical tape and layered it like shingles to shed water. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and its snowing right now.

This is the kit that I bought and that I recommend. https://www.xenonhids.com/9005-single-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

I bought their 55w Galaxy ballast which produce 4200 lumens. I also went for the 5000k color temp which is the pure white. When you start going up in color temp (like 6000k still white but bluer) you start getting into the blues and you lose some brightness.

IMG_5254.JPG
IMG_5251.JPG

I mounted my ballast to the side of the low beam projector housing (the one that extends toward the back of the vehicle and you can see the nice flat surface so that was ideal.
IMG_5252.JPG

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks (again) EAndy,

This should be a sticky or a "How to". I will investigate your suggestion. My brights are fine, but the low beams leave a bit to be desired. I will keep any progress posted for others to use. Thanks for the direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze