Blown Lower Coolant Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arlin

Reaction score
Water hoses, other--

I've kept my old 2004 Expedition XLT 4X4 (with NBX off road package). Its year round duty the last 10 years has been mostly being hooked to my 21ft Allison bassboat to make launching easy. The 2004 was built 12/03 and still has all the original water/heater hoses after 19 years and 205K. I did drain the coolant after 14 years--but, unbelievably the coolant was not all that bad. Professional tech and friend Gene H. replaced the plugs and the power packs and one plug and power pack twice. The vehicle has the same original 5.4L 2V engine, alternator, water pump, tranny, transfer case, axles, wiper motors, radio & CD, and other as it came from the factory. Squirrels got the original serpentine belt and some wiring and Gene has replaced a control in the rear AC unit a few times. BTW, squirrel damage per the above and to fuel lines, $$ for pulling gas tanks to get to squirrel damaged return fuel/vapor lines, may have been my most expensive running Expedition repairs--lately have had better "squirrel success" with Tomcat liquid Animal Repellant. The 2004 "played hard" in the early years---but got three tranny oil changes, 5K oil & filter changes, other maintenance. Still it is amazing how the 2004 Expedition starts on the first crank and still sounds new like. No reason to suspect cam phaser issues. (Will go for new water hoses if driven out on the interstate highway, off roading, etc. Only drive it to the golf course a few times a year.) Have owned six new Expeditions since MY 2000.

Last edited:

AzExpyMax

Reaction score
I just had the same hoses replaced. Repaired locally. Not at dealer. OEM hoses were $500. Cost $1200 to replace. Also not happy with ford.
2018 max limited. With 50k miles.

kapdma

Reaction score
I had the plastic Y fitting develop a crack and leak. So yes, these hoses do fail. I replaced the lower hose. It was a bugger to replace, but like 2 hours. Now that I've done it, it might be a 30 min job. I will say I'm having trouble with air in the coolant or something, though.