Brake lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordX2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Newbie to the boards.

I have a '99 Expedtion XLT, 5.4L, 4x4, original owner. Noticed today that all the brake lights are not working. This includes both left/right brake light and the 3rd brake light. Both turn signals, backup lights are working however.

Any suggestions before I start with the usual fuse checking, swap bulbs, etc?

OP
OP
F

fordX2

Reaction score
After more evaluation, I discovered that the problem resided at the brake light switch. Initially, I just jiggled around the wires/connector and this fixed the problem - temporarily however.

Turns out the wires kept coming loose consequently affecting the brake lights. So I just decided to change out the brake light switch. I found the part at NAPA. The NAPA P/N is: ECHSL108. 10 minutes later, the problem was solved.

Upon closer inspection of the defective part and new part, they are both very identical, right down to the Ford logo and pin-out numbers. The part is from Echlin (disty or manufacturer - I'll google them later).

falcn

Reaction score
Originally posted by fordX2
After more evaluation, I discovered that the problem resided at the brake light switch. Initially, I just jiggled around the wires/connector and this fixed the problem - temporarily however.

Turns out the wires kept coming loose consequently affecting the brake lights. So I just decided to change out the brake light switch. I found the part at NAPA. The NAPA P/N is: ECHSL108. 10 minutes later, the problem was solved.

Upon closer inspection of the defective part and new part, they are both very identical, right down to the Ford logo and pin-out numbers. The part is from Echlin (disty or manufacturer - I'll google them later).

Was the connector on the wire side in any way defective or were the connectors on the original brake switch obviously worn?

OP
OP
F

fordX2

Reaction score
The connectors on the switch itself were worn. I popped the cover off the switch and discovered that the connection between the "spade" connectors (pins 1,2,3) were shorted.

The wire side connector harness seemed to be intact.

falcn

Reaction score
Originally posted by fordX2
The connectors on the switch itself were worn. I popped the cover off the switch and discovered that the connection between the "spade" connectors (pins 1,2,3) were shorted.

The wire side connector harness seemed to be intact.

Hmm was there corrosion in there that looks like it could have caused the short?

Seems a little strange for it to just short out, unless it just plain mechanically wore out on the inside and shorted. Maybe I will grab my tube of dialectric grease and start coating some of my under dash connectors.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like the windsheild might be leaking , look at the
E-brake metal to look for rust/corrosion good luck

brianedonovan

Reaction score
Were is the shitch located. I have the same problem a shorted switch...I am sure, Is it the thing cotter pinned in on yhe brake assy? above the pedal slide motor?

Thanks
Brian

brianedonovan

Reaction score
yes that was it. No corrosion or anything there though...weird same short as listed byother post as well.
Just a little info for you.

Brian

chrisandjaclyn

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Can anyone tell me where the brake light switch is located?

Thanks,
Chris

brianedonovan

Reaction score
It is where I originally posted. It is on the brake pedal slide motor. It is cotter pinned to it. It is very easy to remove and install a new one.